Michal Matějka heads the International Commercial & Trade Practice Group in the Prague office of Baker McKenzie. He regularly lectures on IP/IT law and commercial law matters at the Czech Technical University, the Charles University in Prague as well as the Prague branch of the International Chamber of Commerce. He is a panel member for .cz domain names alternative dispute resolution and generic top level domain names dispute resolution (UDRP).
Michal advises on all facets of international commercial law, such as international trade, distribution and agency agreements, franchising, advertising and consumer protection. He also focuses on information technology and intellectual property matters, including IP enforcement, license agreements, domain name rights enforcement, unfair competition, software piracy, IT outsourcing and IT system integration as well as the resolution of related disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a large Czech bank in connection with the licensing, implementation and maintenance of its core banking systems, including negotiation and resolution of disputes with vendors.
- Advised a global military technologies manufacturer in connection with the supply of technical equipment for the Czech army.
- Advised a major global TV network in relation to its trademark disputes in the Czech Republic.
- Advised a major Czech bank in relation to the cybersquatting of its domain name and the resulting court litigation.
- Advised a global alcoholic beverages producer on issues of contractual commercial law in the Czech Republic and related regulatory issues.
- Advised a major multinational automotive parts manufacturer with respect to issues of contractual commercial law in the Czech Republic.
- Advised an Austrian financial investor in relation to IP issues concerning its acquisition of a major Czech outlet store.
- Advised a Czech telecommunications operator in connection with a key systems outsourcing project of an important participant in the Czech energy market.
- Advised a leading Czech financial company in connection with its entry to the telecommunications market.
- Advised a major US producer of computer games and other entertainment software on copyright and trademark enforcement.
- Czech Republic (2008)
- Charles University, Prague (Doctoral degree Law) (2006)
- Charles University, Prague (Master's Degree Law) (2004)
- University of Economics at Prague (Master's Degree Commercial Law) (2001)