Alejandro Martinez is a member of the Firm's Foreign Trade practice in the Guadalajara office. He regularly advises on commercial law, foreign investment, as well as foreign trade and customs matters. He has co-authored a wide range of articles on topics related to his area of practice, and is currently updating the NAFTA Handbook and the Customs Chapter of The Mexican Tax Guide. Mr. Martinez has also served as a panel member and guest speaker at seminars organized by various institutions, including the Consejo Empresarial Mexicano de Comercio Exterior. He is a founding member of the Bar Association of Tax Lawyers of Jalisco.
Mr. Martinez advises on issues involving customs standard compliance, IMMEX and PROSEC programs, free trade agreements, tariff classification and customs valuation. He also focuses on matters related to country of origin determination, country of origin certificate, country of origin labeling, as well as tariff and non-tariff regulations and restrictions — including Mexican official standards — among others. He is also experienced in preparing and negotiating agreements regarding foreign trade and customs matters. Mr. Martinez has represented various companies before the Federal Courts of Administrative and Tax Justice and the Federal Courts in Mexico.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated in projects with clients for complying with the customs standards and IMMEX and PROSEC programs.
- Provided legal advice on tariff classification and customs valuation.
- Advised several clients in the preparation of foreign trade and customs agreements and international sale agreements.
- Represented clients in litigations before various juridical and jurisdictional instances.
- Advised clients on structuring mining transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colegio de Abogados Fiscalistas del Estado de Jalisco
- Mexico (2000)
- University of Alberta (LL.M.) (2001)
- University of Guadalajara (Bachelor's Degree) (1999)
- University of Guadalajara (1991)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.