Luis Enrique is a junior associate in the Banking, Finance & Major Projects Practice Group of Baker McKenzie's office in Mexico City. He joined the Firm in 2017 and has four years of experience assisting multinational companies in project finance, cross-border credit transactions, domestic credit, banking and finance regulatory issues, public tenders, negotiation of energy projects and real estate transactions. Since 2018, Luis Enrique has been involved in payment processing and Fintech projects, advising some of the world's biggest clients on regulatory trends derived from the implementation of the Fintech Law in Mexico.
Luis Enrique handles all legal matters related to project finance, cross-border credit transactions, loan documentation, financial operations, advice on real estate, banking regulation, fintech projects, insurance institutions, capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory matters, corporate maintenance, public tenders and energy projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated on the preparation and filing of an e-wallet application (institución de fondos de pago electrónico) for a San Francisco based payment processing platform for e-commerce merchants, which is ranked no. 1 among the 11 biggest Fintech companies in the US, for them to continue operating as an e-wallet in Mexico.
- Advised the largest card payment processor (agregador) in Mexico by number of transactions (for companies such as Spotify, Uber and Airbnb), from Netherlands, in connection with its regulatory compliance and contractual matters in Mexico.
- Advised a Mexican challenger bank in connection with the acquisition of a majority interest in a regulated Popular Financial Institution (SOFIPO).
- Advised a leading global venture capital firm and blockchain incubator based in China, on various regulatory issues for the establishment of a cryptocurrency exchange platform
- Advised a Chinese multinational technology conglomerate, regarding their expansion plans into Mexico for the provision of mobile gaming, in-game payment function as well as in-game currency services.
- Assisted Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior, S.N.C. in the syndication process of a USD272 million industrial real estate loan to IGS Group.
- Asisted Banco Nacional de Obras y Servicios Públicos, S.N.C. in the renegotiation and financing for development costs of a highway project. The MXN 5.6 billion loan (approximately USD285 million) consists of two tranches: one for repayment of an existing loan with Banobras, and the second one for development costs of the new Tract 4.1 of the highway to be constructed through 2021.
- Assisted DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG on the acquisition of six exploration and appraisal blocks held by Sierra Oil & Gas Holdings, LP, and its corresponding subsidiaries in Mexico covering approximately 9,400 square kilometers in the core part of Mexico’s Sureste basin, including a 40% interest in Block 7, which contains a significant part of Zama, one of the world’s largest shallow water discoveries in the past 20 years. This transaction is considered the largest upstream M&A transaction in Mexico since the liberalization of its petroleum sector in 2013 and it was awarded by AIPN as Deal of the Year during the International Petroleum Summit in 2019.
- Mexico (2020)
- Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (Law Degree) (2020)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.