Luis Ernesto Marin is a senior associate in Estudio Echecopar. He possesses significant expertise in regulatory banking and insurance matters (including experience advising Fintech companies) and his prior experience as in-house counsel of two of the major banks in Peru provides him a deep understanding of the financial services industry. He has also a broad experience representing lead financial institutions and companies in an assortment of domestic and cross-border financing transactions, including the San Martin Hydroelectric Project in Nicaragua which was awarded the "Latin America Hydro Deal of the Year" at the IJGlobal Awards 2017, and Ergon Perú's US$ 219.4 million senior secured notes due 2034.
He has been recognized as a "Associate to watch" by Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America and as a "next generation lawyer" by The Legal 500 in the Banking & Finance practice, as well as a "rising star" by IFLR1000 in the Project Finance practice. About his practice, Chambers & Partners Latin America notes: "he's demonstrated that he is on top of it all. His knowledge is proficient and his willingness to do things is also good. He's always positive and available."
Luis has authored a number of articles and other publications in topics related to his area of practice.
His pro bono practice includes advising SINBA, winner of the 2017 Kunan Award and several other matters sponsored by Alianza PRO BONO Perú.
Luis' practice centers on financial services regulations, corporate finance, derivatives and insurance. He regularly advises financial and insurance institutions on a wide range of legal and regulatory matters throughout the lifecycle of regulated business, including incorporation of new companies, financial services and insurance M&A and day-to-day advise.
Luis has also a broad experience representing lead financial institutions (as lenders or arrangers) and companies in all kinds of domestic and cross-border financing transactions, including bilateral and syndicated loans involving different types of collateral, leasing, public and private securities' issuance and project finance.
He also advises financial institutions and corporations on derivatives transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited, Dubai (DIFC) Branch and ICBC Peru Bank in connection with a USD 22 million medium term loan agreement granted to Mota-Engil Peru. The facility is secured by a pledge and an asset trust.
- Advised Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A. in connection with a US$ 25 million medium term loan granted to Corporación Agrolatina (Grupo Alese) for the development of agricultural projects. The loan is secured by mortgages over production units and pledges over machinery and equipment.
- Advised Credicorp Capital Servicios Financieros, as arranger, and Banco de Crédito del Perú, as lender, in connection with a US$ 40 million term loan facility granted to Administradora Jockey Plaza Shopping Center, to partially fund the acquisition by the borrower of all the shares of Inversiones Castellar, owner of the Boulevard Asia Shopping Mall located in Asia, in the south of Lima.
- Represented Compañía de Seguros de Vida Cámara in connection with the acquisition of the death, disability and funeral insurance business of Rigel Perú Compañía de Seguros. This transaction is the first of its kind in the Peruvian insurance market, provided the death, disability and funeral insurance is a group policy issued by several insurance companies for the benefit of affiliates to the private pension fund system.
- Advised Ergon Perú, a subsidiary of Italian investor Tozzi Green SpA, in the offer, issuance and sale of US$ 222 million 4.87% Senior Secured Notes due June 30, 2034. The proceeds of the notes will prepay the existing credit facility and to pay for project costs. The transaction also involved the execution of a credit agreement and an intercreditor agreement.
- Acted as lender's counsel in connection with a US$ 49 million loan granted to Camposol as part of a credit programme extension. The loan adds to an existing US$ 200 million credit lent to Camposol in 2018 by Rabobank and Santander.
- Advised an operator and developer of highways and roads Lima in connection with an insurance claim with a major insurance company, including the negotiation of a transaction to settle the case for more that S/ 22 million. Originally, the insurance company denied coverage but following the claim filed by our client and negotiation with the insurance company and their attorneys, the insurance company agreed to pay the mentioned amount.
- Advised Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A. in connection with a US$ 18 million medium term loan granted to Agrícola Alaya, for the repay outstanding debt and other corporate purposes.
- Advised DNB Bank ASA, Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A. and Banco Santander, S.A., as lead arrangers and bookrunners, in connection with a US$ 110 million loan to Pesquera Exalmar S.A.A., to repay the outstanding principal amount of the borrower's notes due 2020 and to repay existing debt.
- Permanent advice to Willis Limited in connection with its activities as a foreign reinsurance broker in Peru. In addition, we have helped Willis Limited to secure its registration as a foreign reinsurance broker, which allows Willis Limited to act as such in the Peruvian market.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lima Bar Association (2008).
- Peru (2008)
- ESAN Graduate School of Business (Specialization in Project Finance) (2015)
- ESAN Graduate School of Business (M.Sc. Finance and Corporate Law) (2010)
- Instituto de Formacion Bancaria (Diploma on Banking and Finance) (2008)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Law Degree, Magna Cum Laude) (2008)
Author, "Hacia una revolución en el Comercio Exterior: ¿Cómo puede ayudarnos el blockchain?", Revista Negocios Internationales, Noviembre 2019.
Co-author, " Algunas reflexiones sobre la regulación del financiamiento participativo o crowdfunding", Revista Forseti, 2018.
Co-author, "Una revisión al Project Finance", Revista de Derecho Administrativo, 2016.
Co-author, " Normas para promover el financiamiento a través del factoring y el descuento", Revista desdeadentro, March 2015.