Govan Manuel is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Corporate and M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg. Govan is knowledgeable in M&A, private equity, general corporate and commercial law, corporate governance, corporate restructurings, black economic empowerment and trust law.
Govan focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate reorganizations and restructurings, general corporate finance and empowerment transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Consolidated Infrastructure Group on its acquisition of 100% of the shares in Conlog Proprietary Limited from a global specialist in energy management and automation company for an aggregate consideration of approximately ZAR 850 million.
- Advised Balwin Properties Limited on its acquisition of development rights in respect of parcels of land collectively known as the "Waterfall Estate" for an aggregate consideration of approximately ZAR 1.15 billion.
- Advised an Anguillan private company on its investment into several gaming operations across the African continent.
- Advised the Government Institutions Pension Fund of Namibia on the establishment of several separate private equity funds to undertake unlisted investments in Namibia, in accordance with the requirements of the Pension Funds Act, and assisted the client in launching private equity in Namibia.
- Advised the shareholders of Akeso Clinics Proprietary Limited in respect of the acquisition by Netcare Hospitals Proprietary Limited of 100% of the shares in and claims against Akeso and its related entities for an aggregate consideration of ZAR 1.3 billion.
- Advised an individual on the restructure of his business and affairs in order to ensure that he complies with an order declaring him a delinquent director.
- Advised a private equity fund on which to structure its investment into a property company domiciled in Poland.
- Advised the Namibian subsidiary of a large South African conglomerate on the formation of a South African fishing joint venture business.
- Advised Investec Bank Limited on its acquisition of Blue Strata for an aggregate consideration of approximately ZAR 350 million.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2014)
- University of Witswatersrand (Advanced Certificate Company Law) (2014)
- University of the Western Cape (LL.B.) (2011)
- University of Cape Town (BSocSc Politics and Sociology) (2007)