Parisa Manteghi Griess is a senior associate in the Firm's North America Tax Practice Group in San Francisco. She represents companies and individuals in a wide range of tax disputes involving the U.S. government as well as foreign tax authorities.
She is a former judicial intern for the Honorable Ricardo M. Urbina at the US District Court for the District of Columbia, where she drafted Memorandum Opinions in conjunction with the law clerk. Prior to law school, Ms. Griess served as a financial economist and a Stanley S. Surrey fellow in the Office of Tax Policy at the US Department of the Treasury. She previously worked as a research assistant at the George Washington Institute of Public Policy and has experience working for members of the US Senate and House of Representatives.
Ms. Griess's practice focuses on defending clients in complex tax disputes at all phases and involving a wide range of issues. She has varied and extensive experience in audit defense, administrative appeals, tax litigation, Competent Authority matters, and criminal tax investigations. She represents clients from a diverse range of industries, including technology, media, manufacturing, energy, and defense. Ms. Griess has practiced before the U.S. Tax Court, the Federal Court of Claims, federal district court, and federal appellate court. She also frequently advises clients in tax disputes involving foreign tax jurisdictions.
In addition to her tax practice, Ms. Griess has an active pro bono practice, which includes representing individuals who have been unlawfully detained by the United States in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. She also has frequently worked with the Public International Law and Policy Group to provide legal and policy advice in connection with the drafting of a post-conflict constitution for the Republic of Yemen and the creation and operation of a tribunal for the prosecution of piracy in Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
Represent US multinational tech company in a multibillion-dollar transfer pricing dispute in US Tax Court related to a platform contribution transaction and other issues involving intangible property.
Represent a technology company in a multibillion-dollar audit by the IRS involving a platform contribution transaction.
Represent a technology manufacturer in multiple transfer pricing disputes involving the Mauritius tax authority.
Represent a US multinational consumer goods company in multiple transfer pricing disputes involving the license of its trademarks to foreign affiliates.
Successfully settled a multimillion-dollar tax refund case in the Court of Federal Claims for an individual taxpayer that involved complex international tax issues and offshore foreign accounts.
Successfully settled a platform contribution transaction audit with the IRS Exam Team for a technology company.
Successfully settled a multimillion-dollar transfer pricing dispute in US Tax Court on behalf of a multinational technology and media company.
Successfully defended a defense contractor in a dispute with the US State Department involving the tax implications of services performed by contractors for the US Embassy in Afghanistan.
Represented multiple foundations in a transferee liability case in US Tax Court and in appeals to the Second Circuit and Ninth Circuit.
Represented multiple Swiss banks before the US Department of Justice in connection with criminal tax investigations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Tax Section
- Center for Law, Economics and Finance
- George Washington Law School Alumni Association - Board of Directors
- California~United States (2012)
- District of Columbia~United States (2014)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2014)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims~United States (2014)
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., Honors) (2012)
- George Washington University (M.P.P.) (2009)
- University of California at Davis (B.A., Highest Honors) (2007)
- Washington, DC
- Co-author, “IRS Holds First of Eight Webinars on Campaigns,” Baker McKenzie Client Alert, May 2017
- Co-author, "The New Advance Pricing and Mutual Agreement Program: Are We Entering the Golden Age of APAs?" The Federal Lawyer, July 2013
- Co-author, “Tax Reform: Storm Clouds?” Baker McKenzie North American Tax Practice Group Tax News and Developments Newsletter, June 2013
- Co-author, “President Obama Proposes Tax Reform in Budget, Baker McKenzie Client Alert, May 2013
- Co-author, “2013 Kicks Off With Key Employment-Related Tax Provisions,” Baker McKenzie North American Tax Practice Group Tax News and Developments Newsletter, February 2013