Parisa Manteghi Griess is an associate in the Firm’s North America Tax Practice Group in San Francisco. She is a former judicial intern for the Honorable Ricardo M. Urbina at the US District Court for the District of Columbia, where she drafted Memorandum Opinions in conjunction with the law clerk. Prior to law school, Ms. Griess served as a financial economist and a Stanley S. Surrey fellow in the Office of Tax Policy at the US Department of the Treasury. She previously worked as a research assistant at the George Washington Institute of Public Policy and has experience working for members of the US Senate and House of Representatives.
Ms. Griess’s practice focuses primarily on international tax matters, including transfer pricing, international tax planning, and tax dispute resolution. Within the field of tax dispute resolution, Ms. Griess has varied and extensive experience in audit defense, administrative appeals, tax litigation, bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements, and criminal tax investigations. She also frequently advises clients on how to manage emerging tax policy developments in the US and around the world.
Ms. Griess's pro bono work includes representing non-enemy combatants who have been unlawfully detained by the United States in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. She also has frequently worked with the Public International Law and Policy Group to provide legal and policy advice in connection with the drafting of a post-conflict constitution for the Republic of Yemen and the creation and operation of a tribunal for the prosecution of piracy in Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
- Salus Mundi Foundation, Transferee, et al v. Commissioner, 101 T.C.M. (CCH) 1289 (2012), pending before Tax Court on remand from the Second Circuit (Docket No. 12-3225) and the Ninth Circuit (Docket No. 12-72527) (substance over form issues relating to a sale of stock and related transferee liability issues)
- IBM India PVT LTD., v. United States, Civil No. 14-mc-00011-RJA (third party summons in connection with an exchange of information request under the US-India Tax Treaty).
- Represent multinational manufacturer in bilateral Advance Pricing Agreement matters between the United States and foreign jurisdictions, including China and Korea.
- Represent Swiss banks before the US Department of Justice in connection with criminal tax investigations.
- Advised multinational mass media company on assessing and mitigating transfer pricing and PE risks in light of the OECD BEPS Project.
- Advised multinational IT company on the tax treatment of the transfer of restricted stock units in connection with the acquisition of a USD335 million cloud computing business.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Tax Section
- Center for Law, Economics and Finance
- George Washington Law School Alumni Association - Board of Directors
- California~United States (2012)
- District of Columbia~United States (2014)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2014)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims~United States (2014)
- George Washington University Law School (J.D. Honors) (2012)
- George Washington University (M.P.P.) (2009)
- University of California at Davis (B.A. Highest Honors) (2007)
- Washington, DC