Junaid J. Malik is a member of Baker McKenzie's Employment & Compensation Law Practice Group in Toronto.
Prior to joining the Firm, Junaid was a litigation associate at a regional full-service firm where he frequently appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and before various administrative tribunals. In addition to litigation work, Junaid provided clients with a full range of employment-related transactional support, and discrete workplace advice.
Junaid has also served two terms as a Director of the Peel Law Association. As a Director of the PLA, Junaid helped facilitate community-based legal initiatives, he conducted educational seminars for the membership, and published articles.
Junaid has diverse commercial litigation experience, with a focus in employment law, and corporate/commercial disputes. Junaid has represented clients as lead counsel in applications, administrative tribunals, and within alternative dispute resolution engagements. Junaid has also acted as co-counsel on trials, appeals, and complex multi-party arbitrations.
In addition to his litigation practice, Junaid advises clients on contentious and non-contentious workplace issues, such as employment standards requirements, employment agreements, human rights and accommodation, occupational health and safety, and corporate compliance and risk management. Furthermore, Junaid assists client transactions within the scope of employment law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Lead counsel in Gill et al. v. Brar et al., successfully defended against an urgent injunction seeking to restrain a corporate client from conducting an AGM and board of directors’ election.
- Lead counsel in Fletcher et al. v. Vansickle, obtained a favourable declaration that the subject property, valued at over CAD 1 Million, shall be divided amongst all beneficiaries in equal shares.
- Lead counsel at a mediation for employment dispute pertaining to the financial industry, achieving highly favourable settlement outcome.
- 2nd chair at a pre-trial case conference for an employment dispute pertaining to the medical industry, achieve highly favourable pre-trial settlement.
- 2nd chair in Tire Discounter Group Inc. v. MacGibbon, successfully defended an action following a two-day trial; avoided over CAD 650,000 of liability; and despite a signed personal guarantee.
- 2nd chair in 1426505 Ontario Inc. v. Jovian Capital Corporation, successfully demonstrated a contractual breach and obtained an award for damages following a 20-day trial regarding a mutual fund dispute.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Peel Law Association - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2018)
- Queen's University (J.D.) (2017)
- York University (Bachelor of Human Resources Management) (2014)