Igor Makarov practices in the areas of corporate/M&A, as well as labor and migration law. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Mr. Makarov worked as a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers and headed St. Petersburg and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers CIS Law Offices BV. He also worked as an attorney at Hedman Law Offices, where he headed its St. Petersburg office until 1994. He joined Baker McKenzie as an associate in its St. Petersburg office. Mr. Makarov is currently a partner in the Firm’s Moscow office.
Mr. Makarov focuses his practice on private equity, joint ventures, direct investments, pre-investment restructuring matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on pre-IPO restructuring of a major Russian media group. Legal services included group restructuring and advising on holding and operational structures.
- Providing pre-IPO advice to a major Russian chemicals and fertilizers producer. Legal services included due diligence, data-room maintenance, drafting documentation and negotiation support.
- Representation of group of Russian shareholders in negotiations, as well as drafting joint venture documentation between a major Russian seed-crushing and oil producer and the world leader in palm oil production. Estimated value of the transaction is over EUR300 million.
- Provided full legal support to a Russian major regional construction and development company in its sale of 100 percent shares to another leading Russian construction and development company. Legal work included vendor’s pre-sale assistance, organizing data-room, drafting documentation and providing negotiation support. Estimated value of the transaction is over EUR200 million.
- Representation of a major international tour operator in its successful acquisition of a leading Russian ski tour operator. Legal work included due diligence, acquisition structuring, drafting sale-and-purchase documentation and assisting in negotiating and closing.
- Representation of a major Japanese automotive manufacturer in its contemplated acquisition of a regional automotive dealer. Legal work included high level diagnostic of short-listed targets, full scope due diligence of a target company and advice on acquisition structures.
- Representation of group of shareholders in the successful sale of 100 percent shares in a leading regional retail chain to a major Russian retail operator. Value of the deal was over EUR100 million.
- Providing legal advice and conducting legal due diligence to a major Russian shipping company with respect to its contemplated acquisition of seaport facilities.
- Representation of a large Russian distillery vis-à-vis a major Russian bank with respect to restructuring loan portfolio.
- Russia (1991)
- St. Petersburg State University (M.C.L. Honors) (1991)
- St. Petersburg
Co-author, "Moscow Extends Self-isolation Regime," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, May 2020
Co-author, "COVID-19 - Russia Eases Rules for Foreign Employees," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
Co-author, "Moscow Announces New Restrictions on Businesses and Residents," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020Co-author, "Latest Measures Against Coronavirus in Russia," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020