Lauren Magraith is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office, where she advises on equity capital markets and public M&A transactions. She has a distinguished 15-year career in both law and investment banking, having held roles as assistant general counsel and executive director for equity capital markets at JPMorgan Chase and Co. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Lauren was part of a leading equity capital markets practice at a large international law firm.
Lauren's corporate finance practice is particularly strong on equity capital markets and equity-linked transactions for issuers and underwriters. With extensive experience on both local and cross-border matters, she also provides general corporate, fundraising, securities and M&A advice across a wide range of sectors, and has successfully advised several investment banking clients and financial institutions.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Lauren has worked on some of Australia's largest transactions in recent times, including:
- Advised the underwriters of the equity funding component of Qube Holding's A$9 billion takeover bid for Asciano Limited.
- Advised the Commonwealth Bank of Australia on its A$3 billion sale of PERLS VII capital notes as well as its buy-back of PERLS V.\
- Advised underwriters in relation to Westpac Banking Corporation's A$3.5 billion entitlement offer.
- Advised the Commonwealth government on the A$5.68 billion initial public offering (IPO) of Medibank Private Limited.
- Advised private equity vendors on several secondary sales of ASX-listed securities, including the A$945 million block trade with Healthscope Limited.
- Advised underwriters on IPOs including Spotless Group, Veda Group, Asaleo Care, National Storage Group and Mantra Group.
- Advised the SG Fleet on its A$189 million IPO.
- Advised lead managers on the hybrid offerings by Westpac Banking Corporation, ANZ Banking Group, Macquarie Group and National Australia Bank.
- Advised Australian corporates and financial institutions on various institutional placements, entitlement offers and demergers on the ASX.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales (2002 - present)
- New South Wales~Australia (2002)
- University of Sydney (LL.B. First Class Honors)
- University of Sydney (LL.M. First Class Honors)
- Macquarie University (B.A.)
- Macquarie University (Law & Business Degree)