Andrew is a partner and Head of Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla's Arbitration, Construction and Offshore Litigation (DIFC/ADGM Courts) practice. He has been based in Dubai since 2009. He is a qualified English law Barrister, Solicitor Advocate and arbitration law specialist. He works extensively across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, acting for governments and international corporations on complex commercial disputes under a variety of civil and common law systems. He is ranked in Chambers Global, Legal 500 and is listed in Who’s Who Legal as one of the world’s leading dispute lawyers.
Andrew has a commercial focus and is particularly adept at partnering with his clients and understanding their business. Clients state that he “impresses with his command of potential issues” and he has "relentless tenacity and absolute client focus" (Chambers Global). Who's Who Legal says: "Rising star" Andrew Mackenzie has "an exceptional knowledge" and "a strong commitment to his clients."
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a major regional UAE based bank in DIFC Court proceedings concerning allegations of fraud and misrepresentation under various financial instruments.
- Acting for a group of private investment companies concerning the defence of a USD 150 million claim brought in the DIFC Courts.
- Acting for a global architectural company in DIFC Court proceedings concerning a pre-action application that involved multiple jurisdictional issues and an interplay with the UAE onshore Courts.
- Acting for a global logistical company in DIFC Court proceedings concerning a challenge to a 1782 application for pre-action disclosure in the US in support of ongoing arbitral proceedings.
- Acting for a large regional KSA-based bank in DIFC-LCIA arbitral proceedings, seated in the DIFC, concerning contractual breaches under numerous financial instruments.
- Acting for a luxury European fashion house in one of the first substantive actions before the ADGM Courts.
- Acting for a technology solutions provider in a multijurisdictional DIFC-LCIA arbitration with a claim value of USD 380 million concerning issues of IP infringement and legal and contractual claims across five separate jurisdictions.
- Acting for a global logistics company in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration with a claim value of over USD 100 million dollars. The matter involved multijurisdictional proceedings in KSA, Dubai and the USA and DIFC Courts.
- Acting for a joint venture party in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration concerning claims brought following termination of the joint venture agreement.
- Acting for a developer in a DIFC-LCIA construction arbitration against the main contractor concerning a major mixed-use luxury development on the Palm Dubai.
- Acting for a major UAE-based bank in DIFC Court proceedings concerning the enforcement of personal guarantees worth in excess of AED 700 million.
Prior to joining the Firm, Andrew handled the following matters:
- Acted for an unincorporated joint venture in a DIAC construction arbitration concerning a major infrastructure project with a claim value of over USD 1 billion.
- Acted for a London-based insurer and a New York-based design consultant in respect of a major professional negligence claim in the UAE in connection with a large national infrastructure project valued at USD 3 billion.
- Represented a major real estate developer in various actions before the DIFC Courts.
- Acted on behalf of a joint venture in an LCIA Arbitration in London in relation to a dispute over the design and construction of the BTC pipeline, with a claim value of over GBP 80 million.
- Acted for a major facade contractor in a DIAC arbitration concerning the cladding of an infrastructure project in the UAE valued at over USD 1 billion.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn (United Kingdom) - Member
- Society of Construction Law (Middle East) - Member
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group - Member
- England & Wales (Barrister) (2014)
- England & Wales (Solicitor) (2010)
- Scotland (Solicitor) (2008)
- University of Strathclyde (Diploma in Legal Practice) (2007)
- University of Glasgow (LLB, with honors) (2006)