Andrew Mackenzie is a partner in Baker & McKenzie Habib Al Mulla's Arbitration practice, based in Dubai. He is a solicitor advocate and arbitration law specialist. He works extensively across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, acting for governments and international corporations on complex commercial disputes under a variety of civil and common law systems.
Andrew is listed in MENA Insurance Review's Power 50 for 2016, is recommended for dispute resolution in Legal 500 and Chambers Global and is listed in Who’s Who Legal as one of the world’s leading construction lawyers.
Andrew has a commercial focus and is particularly adept at partnering with his clients and understanding their business. Clients state that he “impresses with his command of potential issues” and he has "relentless tenacity and absolute client focus" (Chambers Global).
Andrew handles construction, engineering and energy disputes and advises clients on insurance litigation, including professional negligence, as well as construction all risk and coverage disputes, particularly in mega infrastructure projects.
Andrew has tried cases in all of the major arbitration forums including ICSID, ICC, LCIA, SIAC, UNCITRAL and DIAC. He also holds full rights of audience before the DIFC Courts, sits as an arbitrator and has written and presented at numerous international conferences on arbitration and dispute resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Andrew handled the following matters:
- Acted for an unincorporated joint venture in a DIAC construction arbitration concerning a major infrastructure project with a claim value of over USD 1 billion.
- Acted on behalf of a joint venture in an LCIA Arbitration in London in relation to a dispute over the design and construction of the BTC pipeline, with a claim value of over GBP 80 million.
- Acted for a London based insurer and a New York-based design consultant in respect of a major professional negligence claim in the UAE in connection with a large national infrastructure project valued at USD 3 billion.
- Represented a major real estate developer in various actions before the DIFC Courts.
- Acted for a major facade contractor in a DIAC arbitration concerning the cladding of an infrastructure project in the UAE valued at over USD 1 billion.
- Acted for a major MEP contractor in a DIAC-based arbitration in respect of the construction and expansion of a cement plant in Angola.
- Provided project counsel and claims advice to two international contractors in respect of a major power plant project in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Acted for a Japanese-led joint venture in an ICC dispute in Paris in connection with the construction of a major new international airport in the Middle East. The claim value exceeded USD 120 million.
- Acted on behalf of a London-based reinsurer and the UAE based insured, defending a professional negligence claim worth over GBP 85 million in a DIAC based arbitration.
- Acted for a major international mining corporation in an LCIA arbitration seated in London in respect of a gold mine in Ghana.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn (United Kingdom) - Member
- Society of Construction Law (Middle East) - Member
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group - Member
- England & Wales (2014)
- England & Wales (Solicitor) (2010)
- Scotland (Solicitor) (2008)
- University of Strathclyde (Diploma in Legal Practice) (2007)
- University of Glasgow (LLB with honors) (2006)