Dr. Holger Lutz LL.M.
Dr. Holger Lutz is co-head of the German Information Technology Group and is based in Baker McKenzie's Frankfurt office. He studied law at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University in Frankfurt/Main. He also studied at the University of Edinburgh and gained an "LL.M. in Innovation, Technology and the Law". During his legal clerkship he worked for a German data protection authority as well as international law firms. In 2008 he obtained his Doctor of Law degree on a topic related to software licenses in Frankfurt/Main.
Dr. Lutz advises German and international companies on all aspects of information technology law, including computer law, media law and internet law, as well as intellectual property law, data protection law, telecommunications law and leasing. He particularly focuses on the legal issues related to outsourcing contracts, hardware and software contracts, e-commerce and data protection.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a German car manufacturer on the examination of the staged declaration of consent under data protection law within the framework of an EU-wide deployment.
- Advised a German car manufacturer on linking the client’s customer portal with social media profiles from a data protection and competition law perspective.
- Advised a German car rental company on the Europe-wide review of direct marketing activities, including compliance with data protection requirements.
- Advised a subsidiary of a large German car manufacturer on the set up and implementation of centralized databases and data sharing (including blacklists) between the different local entities in 11 European countries.
- The Best Lawyers in Germany 2022 edition for Data Security and Privacy Law, Information Technology Law for 2017
- Best Lawyer in Germany 2019/2021 for Information Technology Law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019/2021
- Leading individual in information technology: information technology and digitalisation, Legal 500 Europe 2021/22
- Top IT-lawyers 2018, 2019, Wirtschaftswoche
- Germany (2006)
- University of Edinburgh (LL.M.) (2006)
- University of Frankfurt/M. (LL.M.) (2002)
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author (with Claire Dietz-Polte), "Öffentliche Ladestationen - Wer sind die Aktuere und Zeitschrift für das Recht der Digitalen Wirtschaft," 2nd edition, Heft 1, January 2022
- Co-author (with Janet Butler, Johannes Döveling, Caroline Heinickel, Nicolas Kredel, Jens Rubart, Joachim Scherer, Matthias Scholz), "TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz Kommentar," 3rd edition 2021, ESV Medien, 10.11.2020
- Co-author (with Julia Kaufmann, Michael Schmidl, Michaela Nebel, Florian Tannen), "Another Million Euro Fine under the GDPR in Germany - What does it tell us?," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 16 October 2020
- Co-editor (with Matthias Scholz, Janet Butler, Caroline Heinickel, Nicolas Kredel, Joachim Scherer, Jens Rubart), "TKG - Telekommunikationsgesetz - Kommentar," 3. Auflage 2020, Erich Schmidt Verlag, September 2020
- Co-author (with Elisabeth Dehareng, Lukas Feiler, Francesca Gaudino, Julia Kaufmann, Michaela Nebel, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Magdalena Kogut-Czarkowska, Joanna De Fonseka, Benjamin Slinn), "Europe: Guidelines on the concepts of controller and processor in the GDPR," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 22 September 2020
- Co-author (with Jörg Risse), "Begehrte Corona-Liste - Die Polizei möchte Zugriff auf die Gästelisten der Restaurants und Bars / Das geht nur ausnahmsweise," FAZ, S.16, 19 August 2020
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Scholz, Dr. Thomas Schänzle, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.