Dr. Holger Lutz is co-head of the German Information Technology Group and is based in Baker McKenzie's Frankfurt office. He studied law at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University in Frankfurt/Main. He also studied at the University of Edinburgh and gained an "LL.M. in Innovation, Technology and the Law". During his legal clerkship he worked for a German data protection authority as well as international law firms. In 2008 he obtained his Doctor of Law degree on a topic related to software licenses in Frankfurt/Main.
Dr. Lutz advises German and international companies on all aspects of information technology law, including computer law, media law and internet law, as well as intellectual property law, data protection law, telecommunications law and leasing. He particularly focuses on the legal issues related to outsourcing contracts, hardware and software contracts, e-commerce and data protection.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a German car manufacturer on the examination of the staged declaration of consent under data protection law within the framework of an EU-wide deployment.
- Advised a German car manufacturer on linking the client’s customer portal with social media profiles from a data protection and competition law perspective.
- Advised a German car rental company on the Europe-wide review of direct marketing activities, including compliance with data protection requirements.
- Advised a subsidiary of a large German car manufacturer on the set up and implementation of centralized databases and data sharing (including blacklists) between the different local entities in 11 European countries.
- Top IT-lawyers 2018, 2019, Wirtschaftswoche
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for information technology, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Germany (2006)
- University of Edinburgh (LL.M.) (2006)
- University of Frankfurt/M. (LL.M.) (2002)
Co-author (with Jörg Risse), "Begehrte Corona-Liste - Die Polizei möchte Zugriff auf die Gästelisten der Restaurants und Bars / Das geht nur ausnahmsweise," FAZ, S.16, 19 August 2020
Co-author (with Michaela Nebel, Julia Kaufmann, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Nadine Neumeier), "Germany - Schrems II: Opinion of the European Data Protection Committee," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 24 July 2020
Co-author (with Julia Kaufmann, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, David Pfahler, Frank Pfüger, Michaela Nebel), "Germany: How to get Governmental Funding for Digital Health Apps?," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 23 July 2020
Co-author (with Julia Kaufmann, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Michaela Nebel), "Germany: The decision of the German Federal Court of Justice on cookie consent - and further implications," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 9 July 2020
Co-author (with Simone Bach and Hagen Köckeritz), Outsourcing in Germany, Lexology, February 13, 2019