Peter is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution & Restructuring & Insolvency group. For more than twenty five years, Peter has advised on a range of complex commercial and contract disputes, class action litigation, and insolvency and restructuring matters for a range of foreign and domestic clients including multinational and domestic corporations, ASX listed entities, financial institutions, and insolvency practitioners.
Peter's practice is focused on three key areas - (i) complex commercial litigation with a particular emphasis on financial services and property; (ii) class actions; and (iii) insolvency and restructuring.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for the lead plaintiff in the class action proceedings filed in the Federal Court of Australia against Davantage Group Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of McMillan Shakespeare Ltd (an ASX listed entity). The class comprises approximately 28,000 persons who acquired warranty products from Davantage which were worthless.
- Acting for Amcor Flexibles Asia Pacific in the defence of legal proceedings instituted in the Supreme Court of Victoria, Commercial Court Commercial List concerning the landlord's claim for possession of the industrial premises leased by Amcor Flexibles Asia Pacific at Port Melbourne, Victoria.
- Advising Amcor Flexibles Asia Pacific in relation to a multi-jurisdictional dispute concerning defective equipment acquired by Amcor from a major equipment supplier.
- Acting for Euromoney Plc in relation to the prosecution of claims for loss and damage in excess of AUD 30 million in the Supreme Court of Victoria Commercial Court Commercial List against the vendors of the Centre for Investor Education business which Euromoney acquired in 2014.
- Acting for L3 Harris Technologies Inc, in the defence of commercial litigation instituted by Qantas Airways Limited in the Supreme Court of NSW for alleged wrongful repudiation of a Term Sheet relating to the establishment and operation by L3 of a pilot training academy located at Toowoomba, Queensland. The claims by Qantas concern alleged losses of in excess of AUD 60 million.
- Acting for Schroder Adveq LP, a global managed investment manager, in the defence of legal proceedings instituted by the trustee of Adveq Almond Trust 2 in the Supreme Court of Victoria Commercial Court, Commercial List for performance fees totalling approximately AUD 10 million.
- Acting for Daiwa Can Company in the defence of oppression proceedings instituted by Barokes Pty Ltd (minority shareholder) in the Supreme Court of Victorian Commercial Court, Commercial List.
- Acting for Unilever Australia Limited in the defence of legal proceedings instituted in the Victorian Courts relating to alleged breach of Unilever's make good obligations pursuant to the lease of industrial premises in Victoria.
- Advising WEX Australia Pty Ltd in relation to a commercial licensing dispute with an ASX listed oil refinery.
- Advising a lender and receivers in relation to the receivership of a 38 lot residential apartment complex located at Thirteenth Beach, Barwon Heads, Victoria.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, Litigation, Best Lawyers 2016, 2020
- Best Lawyers in Australia, Information Technology Law, Best Lawyers 2020
- Doyles Guide - Recommended - Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2017, 2018
- Doyles Guide - Recommended - Insolvency & Restructuring 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- Victoria~Australia (1995)
- Monash University (LL.B.) (1993)
- Monash University (Bachelor of Economics) (1991)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.