Peter focuses on complex, cross-border M&A transactions, representing both public and private companies. With a focus on M&A, restructuring, joint ventures, directors' duties, disputes in board, governance matters and crisis management. Peter advises clients across a wide range of industries, including consumer, energy, infrastructure, transportation, financial institutions and professional services.
Peter's clients include Fortune 500 companies, Royal Chartered company and funds such as Bank of China, China Taiping Insurance, China Hailiang Group, The British Standard Institution, China Telecom, Hisense International, and ICBC.
Clients praise Peter for the time he takes to know his clients, his skilful negotiation, ability to focus on the big picture, business understanding and problem solving skills.
Peter teaches M&A and governance courses at Peking University, Tsinghua University and China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission (CBIRC). Peter is a committee member of the Institute of Directors (City branch), the UK's longest running organisation for professional leaders. Peter is a frequent speaker on corporate, China and China business matters. Peter has been invited to testify on the issues of UK/China trade before the trade committee of the UK Parliament.
Representative Legal Matters
- Bank of China on M&A, general corporate, dispute, compliance and investigation matters
- ICBC on selling certain shares held by the bank
- China Telecom on corporate matters in Europe
- Tencent, one of the world's most valuable technology companies, on leading the Series A investment into SenSat, a UK Artificial Intelligence company
- Baotech Capital, in the widely-publicized proposed acquisition of British Steel, the second-largest steel producer in the country
- Baotech Capital in its proposed acquisition of Gurr Johns, a global leader in art valuation
- China Hailiang Group as the majority shareholder on the administration of Asa Resource Group Plc
- UCF in various corporate and dispute matters
- China Taiping Insurance in various corporate, regulatory and dispute matters
- China Development Bank, in its capacity as a major shareholder of Barclays plc, regarding Barclay's GBP 5.95 billion rights issue
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom
- University College London (LLB)
- York University (MSc Project Analysis, Finance and Investment)
- Nottingham University (BSc. International Economics)
- Chapters on corporate, M&A and disputes, "Guide on Investing in the UK," China Council for Promotion of International Trade, 2020
- China Foreign Investment Law, IFLR, 11 March 2020
- Foreign Investment into China, IFLR, 13 February, 2020
- Chinese FDI to Ireland rises 56%, Irish Times, 9 January 2020
- Chinese Investment in Europe and North America, City A.M. 7 January 2020