Rui is an associate in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Baker McKenzie's Johannesburg office. He is also actively involved in the Financial Institutions and Technology, Media and Telecommunications industry groups.
Rui completed his bachelor of laws degree with distinction (cum laude) from the University of Witswatersrand.
Rui has assisted in advising clients in relation to Business Rescue proceedings within the South African company law landscape as well as with regulatory-related queries in an array of fields, including broadcasting, the motor industry and data privacy.
Rui has also assisted in conducting arbitration for multinational clients and conducting compliance investigations in relation to potential contraventions the United States' Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK's Bribery Act, both in English and in Portuguese. Due to Rui's multilingual capabilities, he has assisted various clients in relation to the acquisition of entities based in Portugal and Mozambique.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Association for Certified Fraud Examiners
- Member, International Compliance Association
- Member, International Bar Association's Business Crimes Committee, Anti-Corruption Committee, Arbitration Committee and Media Law Committee
- Berklee College of Music (Certificate Copyright Law in the Music Industry (Berklee online)) (2019)
- University of Hong Kong (Certificate Laws Relating to FinTech (EDX online)) (2018)
- Harvard University (Certificate Bioethics and the Law (HarvardX online)) (2018)
- University of Witwatersrand (LL.B.) (2016)
- Louvain University (Certificate International Human Rights Law (LouvainX online)) (2016)
- Harvard University (Certificate Contract Law (HarvardX online)) (2015)
- Harvard University (Certificate Theory of Juries (HarvardX online)) (2015)
- New York State Bar (Certificate New York Law)