For over 30 years, John's practice has focused on corporate restructuring and insolvency, distressed investing and debt trading, and commercial dispute resolution. He has advised mine owners and operators on debt and equity restructuring in joint venture arrangements. He has likewise represented financiers and their appointees on all aspects of receiverships, administrations, workouts, and other formal and informal appointments.
John is an annual contributor to the World Bank Publications on Credit and Business in Australia. He is currently Special Patron and Foundation Committee Member for the Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art. He is a past chair of the Queensland Law Society Insolvency Committee.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting the administrators of Intergen Energy Holdings, the co-owner and operator of Callide A and B power stations in Queensland, to effect the restructure of its debt and ownership.
- Representing Santos Ltd and Delhi Petroleum Ltd as co-defendants with State of Qld to challenges to petroleum leases and expansion of rights to negotiate indigenous land use agreements, in the Federal and High Courts.
- Represented the Japanese Treasury in tracing misappropriated funds.
- Acting for the Republic of Nauru in the High Court of Australia to clarify important questions of sovereign immunity and subsequent financial arrangements.
- In conjunction with PriceWaterhouse Coopers, advised Queensland Motorways Ltd (QML) and the Department of Main Roads on various infrastructure projects including the Gateway Upgrade Project, the proposed Toowoomba bypass and the QML structure and funding.
- Assisting Vale Inco to resolve litigation and re-negotiate contractual arrangements over its AUD 3 billion Goro Nickel venture.
- Acting as in-house litigation counsel for Vale Australia for 12 months.
- Acting for ASIC appointed liquidators with respect to managed investment schemes, which involve investigations and recoveries including substantial questions of director liability.
- Advising the board of the Brisconnections group of companies on various matters effecting the operation of Airport Link M7 and subsequent litigation and administration.
- Advising the administrators and liquidators of the Octaviar Group of companies with respect to foreshadowed class actions and various aspects of director’s duties.
- Insolvency and Reorganisation, Best Lawyer Australia, 2010-2016
- Litigation, Best Lawyers Australia, 2012-2016
- Dispute Resolution, PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook, 2010-2016
- Dispute Resolution, PLC Cross-border Handbook, 2010-2016
- Insolvency and Reconstruction, Doyle’s Guide, 2011-2015
- New South Wales~Australia (1988)
- Victoria~Australia (1988)
- Western Australia~Australia (1988)
- Australian Capital Territory~Australia (1988)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1981)
- Federal Court of Australia~Australia (1981)
- Queensland~Australia (1981)
- University of Queensland (LLB Hons) (1979)