Laura Liu (刘佳) focuses on China antitrust legal issues including merger control filing, antitrust compliance, antitrust investigations and antitrust litigation. Laura also has experience in EU competition law, having worked in Baker McKenzie’s Brussels office, where she assisted clients with multi-jurisdictional merger filing assessment.
Laura is an antitrust lawyer with more than 10 years of experience. Before joining the Firm, Ms. Liu worked at two leading domestic PRC law firms as a full time antitrust lawyer for six years. She now plays a key role in the team to build up and strengthen the China practice. Clients have commented that "she is very diligent, responsive and definitely knows her stuff", and that "her advice is right to the point and commercially practical."
Laura has extensive experience in merger filings, having assisted numerous clients with antitrust filings before the China competition authority, including some of the most significant merger clearance cases to date. Laura also has very extensive experience advising clients on deal structure and filing strategy to achieve commercial outcomes while avoiding gun-jumping risks.
Laura has advised numerous clients on complex competition compliance and advisory matters including setting up competition compliance programmes, conducting internal compliance audits, reviewing and adapting distribution models and business operations and providing competition compliance training for clients. Laura also has considerable experience in handling dawn raids and antitrust investigations facing the China competition authority.
With a deep understanding of Chinese companies' demands together with a global perspective, Laura has assisted a significant number of China-based multinational companies to conduct global multi-jurisdictional merger control assessments in their cross-boarder M&A deals and managed the global coordination of merger filing strategies for major deals with Baker McKenzie offices and local firms to obtain necessary clearances in overseas jurisdictions.
Laura advises multinational companies, SOEs and domestic companies in a broad range of sectors including: industrials, manufacturing and transportation, pharmaceuticals and medical services, TMT and fast moving consumer goods.
Laura also has experience of dealing with China's National Security Review (“NSR”) filing, and has assisted several clients to pass the NSR in China.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Chinese SoE on multi-jurisdictional assessment for its overseas acquisition and coordinated the merger filings in several jurisdictions.
- Advised Nidec on the Chinese merger control filings for its acquisition of Taiwan-based thermal module products supplier CCI.
- Advised INEOS on the Chinses merger control filings for its acquisition of certain China business.
- Advised Fedex on the Chinese merger control filings for its acquisition of TNT.
- Advised Murata on the Chinese merger control filing for its acquisition of Sony's battery business.
- Advised a foreign company dealing with a failure-to-notify investigation targeting an offshore JV transaction conducted by the China competition authority.
- Conducted compliance audit and provided legal advice for a leading global manufacturing equipment supplier for its business operation in China.
- Lead and coordinated a high level competition health-check as well as providing legal advice for a China leading Airline Company for its business operation in the US.
- Provided legal advice for an international pharmaceutical company for its distribution arrangement in China from the China antitrust law perspective.
- Provided legal advice for an international auto company for its antitrust compliance in China as well as dealing with the antitrust investigation conducted by the China competition authority.
- Rising Star: Antitrust & Competition, Legal 500, 2020
- Next Generation Lawyers: Antitrust & Competition, Legal 500, 2019
- Future Leaders: Competition, Who’s Who Legal, 2019
- People's Republic of China (2007)
- Tsinghua University (LL.M. (Civil and Commercial Law)) (2009)
- Beijing Jiaotong University (LL.B.) (2007)
Author, "China’s SAMR Ramps Up Antitrust Enforcement", e-Competitions Bulletin of Concurrences, 2019-2020
Author, “Review on ICN’s Competition Advocacy Reports”, included in the book “Introduction and Review on selected ICN Reports”, Law Press China, 2018
Co-author, "Changes in the Landscape: Trends in Global Merger Control", Competition Policy International, 2017
Co-author, “How the Judicial Interpretation of the Supreme People’s Court Affects Civil Antitrust Actions in China”, LexisNexis, 2013
Co-author, “China Anti-Monopoly Law Guide Commentary”, CCH China, 2009-2013