David Liou is the co-chair of the Firm’s Real Estate, Hotel & Resort, Patent and Litigation & Arbitration practice groups in Taipei. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 1996, Mr. Liou was the head of the Corporate & Investment Department of Taiwan International Patent & Law Office. He also served as an associate professor of Soochow University Law School, where he taught commercial and civil law from 1984 to 1986. Mr. Liou was admitted to the Taiwan Bar in 1986, and served as President of the Taipei Bar Association from 2006 to May 2008. He is also the Supervisor of Monte Jade Science Technology Association of Taiwan for many years.
Mr. Liou has significant experience practicing in the areas of real estate law, major projects, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual properties, as well as litigation and arbitration. His impressive track record includes acting as arbitrator for important cases in the panel under the ROC Arbitration Association.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising multinational and local companies — including significant PE funds — in various real estate and major projects such as transportation, incinerators, water, mining, paper & pulp, hotel & resort, real estate acquisition, development and BOT projects.
- Advising multinational and local companies in the acquisition of companies in various fields (high-tech, machinery, financial institutions, hotels and resorts) globally and locally.
- Advising banks, insurance companies, financial institutions and securities firms on finance and securities related projects.
- Advising multinational and local clients in various fields for international/local arbitrations and litigations.
- Advising multinational and local clients in patent licensing and patent litigations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taiwan Monte Jade Science & Technology Association - Supervisor
- Taipei Bar Association - President
- National Bar Association - Chairman, International Committee
- ROC Arbitration Association - Arbitrator
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association - Council and Chairman Of IP Committee
- National Taiwan University Law Foundation - Finance Director
- Taichung~Taiwan (2004)
- Hsinchu~Taiwan (2003)
- Kaohsiung~Taiwan (1998)
- Taoyuan~Taiwan (1996)
- Taipei~Taiwan (1986)
- University of Florida (J.D.) (1982)
- Tulane University (LL.M.) (1980)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1977)