Selwyn's practice areas cover general corporate and financial advisory matters. A particular area of focus is the insurance industry, where he has acted on multi-jurisdictional bancassurance transactions and insurance acquisitions.
More broadly, Selwyn also advises on cross-border and domestic transactional work, and has represented multinational corporations on initial public offerings, public takeovers, private acquisitions and disposals, restructurings and early stage and venture capital fund raising.
Representative Legal Matters
Fintech and Regulatory
- Advises banks, fund managers, insurers, and other capital markets intermediaries and financial advisers on (i) initial set up of operations, structuring and licensing requirements under various legislation, (ii) securing licenses and approvals from the Monetary Authority of Singapore, (iii) compliance with ongoing regulatory and business conduct rules and (iv) internal policies, compliance manuals, AML/KYC policies, governance, outsourcing and risk management framework.
- Advises card issuers, merchant acquirers, stored value facility holders and other payment service providers within the card schemes and payment systems framework on: (i) licensing and exemption; and (ii) other payment advisory matters such as card issuance, e-wallets, and remittance. Advises on token sales, virtual currencies and initial coin offerings.
- Acted for Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company Ltd in USD 1.6 billion acquisition of First Capital Insurance Ltd, the largest non-life insurer in Singapore, from Fairfax Financial Holdings.
- Acted for Allianz on its successful bid for a 15-year bancassurance agreement with Standard Chartered Bank to distribute general insurance products in five key markets across Asia: Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and China.
- Acted for Allied World Assurance Company, Ltd on the acquisition of the Hong Kong and Singapore general insurance operations of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc by way of a court-approved scheme of transfer.
- Acted for Tenet Sompo Insurance Pte. Ltd. and Nipponkoa Insurance Co., Ltd. on their merger by way of a court approved scheme of transfer under the Insurance Act.
- Acted for Sompo Japan Insurance on its acquisition of 100% of Tenet Insurance Company Ltd from Hwa Hong Corporation Ltd and its wholly owned subsidiary, Hwa Hong Capital (Pte) Ltd.
General Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for StashAway (a robo-adviser) in its Series A funding round.
- Advised Kirin Holdings Company, Limited in the SGD 13.1 billion voluntary takeover offer by OUE Baytown Pte Ltd for Fraser and Neave, Ltd, a leading real estate and food and beverage conglomerate in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Advised the Al-Futtaim Group, a leading integrated commercial, industrial and services organization in the lower Gulf region, on its acquisition of a strategic interest in RSH Limited.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore (2010)
- National University of Singapore (LLB Bachelor of Laws with honours)