Craig Lilly is a M&A/corporate partner in Baker McKenzie’s Palo Alto office. He has extensive experience in advising strategics and private equity clients on stock and asset acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, recapitalizations, consolidations, auctions, leveraged buyouts, venture financing and distressed investments, among others. Mr. Lilly frequently writes and lectures on legal and business issues regarding mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments and corporate finance. He has been quoted in, or contributed to, articles and features in Bloomberg, The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones events, The Deal Magazine, and other publications. From 2006 to 2010, he was the California reporter for the American Bar Association Committee on State Regulation of Securities.
Mr. Lilly’s practice focuses on complex cross-border and domestic acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, strategic investments, corporate governance, growth financing and advising boards on innovative investment structures. He also represents fund sponsors in connection with structuring and organizing investment funds, parallel investment vehicles, offshore funds, co-investment/side-by-side partnerships, side pocket equity investments and sponsor operating agreements. He also provides transactional and general corporate advice to portfolio companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a global public technology company in the cross-border acquisition of a global fiber optics business unit.
- Advised with respect to the sale of a complex circuit board manufacturer and designer business to a private equity fund.
- Advised in the negotiation and execution of numerous leveraged buyout transactions in the software, information technology, consumer, healthcare and media industries.
- Advised a global communications company in multiple domestic and cross-border transactions including acquisitions, dispositions and spin-offs of major business units.
- Advised multiple private equity funds in the acquisition of several consumer, food, beverage and wine companies.
- Advised in the negotiation, formation and offerings of numerous equity funds including funds and co-investment vehicles focusing on leveraged buyouts, venture capital and distressed debt.
- Advising a client with respect to the negotiation of a capital commitment financing for a private equity fund.
- Advised with respect to the financing and cross-border sale of an adaptive optics company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- California State Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Texas Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Association for Corporate Growth - Member
- American Bar Association - Committees on Negotiated Acquisitions, PE, M&A Trends, Corporate Governance, Institutional Investors
- The Venture Capital - Private Equity Roundtable - Member and Advisor
- Stanford University (2013-2015) - Advisory Board Member, Law, Science and Technology
- American Bar Association - Committee on State Regulation of Securities, California Reporter
- Texas Business Law Foundation - Former Legal Advisor, Amendment & Restatement of the Texas partnership limited liability company Act
- California~United States (2004)
- Texas~United States (1990)
- University of Oklahoma (J.D. Order of the Coif) (1990)
- University of Oklahoma (B.B.A. with Distinction) (1987)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.