Carlo Lichino is counsel in the Firm's Banking & Finance Practice Group in Milan. His practice concentrates on structured financing, acting for the main banks and corporate groups and working with such institutions as the European Investment Bank and the European Central Bank. He regularly advises on transactions including those supported by various collateral and asset classes, domestic and multijurisdictional securitizations, principal finance transactions, assignment of receivables, and issuance of covered bonds, both dematerialized and registered. He has been recommended by Chambers for three consecutive years.
Mr. Lichino assists major players in the Italian and international capital markets, with specific interest in structured finance. He has acted for the main banks and corporations, financial and governmental institutions. His clients include banks/financial intermediaries acting as issuers, originators or sellers; banks/financial intermediaries acting as arrangers or sponsors; financial authorities, investment funds, representatives of noteholders, agents, rating agencies, conduit and pool of syndicating banks.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised BPER Leasing/Sardaleasing S.p.A. in relation to the EUR1 billion securitization of receivables from leasing contracts towards SMEs originated by BPER Leasing.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Lichino acted on the following matters:
- Advised Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank S.A., in relation to the assignment of a EUR35 millions portfolio of Italian trade receivables towards SMEs generated by Acea Elettricità S.p.A. and guaranteed of Acea S.p.A.
- Advised European Investment Fund and European Investment Bank as investors in relation to the EUR800 million securitization of receivables from leasing contracts towards SMEs originated by Alba Leasing S.p.A., the first transaction for value of Alba Leasing S.p.A.
- Advised UniCredit Leasing/UniCredit Bank AG in relation to legal aspects of the launch and closing of a leasing securitization for EUR1.3 billion to support small and medium-sized Italian companies including financing from the European Investment Bank. This is the first public operation originated by UniCredit Leasing on the Italian asset-backed securities market since the beginning of the financial crisis.
- Advised Societe Generale CIB in relation to the investment and liquidity facility support provided under the securitization of a EUR363 million commercial real estate loan secured over a portfolio of shopping centers and retail parks in Italy. The transaction represented the first Italian commercial mortgage backed securitization since the financial crisis.
- Advised Finanziaria Internazionale Securitisation Group, BNP Paribas and Banca Popolare dell'Emilia Romagna Soc. Coop. in relation to the securitization involving the issuance by Estense SME S.r.l. of EUR2.156 billion asset-backed rate securities collateralized by a portfolio of secured and unsecured loans granted by BPER to Italian SMEs.
- Advised Finanziaria Internazionale Securitisation Group and Vivaldi SPV S.r.l. in relation to the unique CMBS securitization involving the issuance by Vivaldi SPV S.r.l. of EUR180 million asset-backed securities collateralized by a portfolio of a single real estate loans granted by Merrill Lynch International Bank Limited, Milan branch to Regent Property Snc di Regent S.r.l. for the financing of the Four Seasons Hotel in Milan.
- Advised Banca Carige S.p.A. in relation to structure and issuance of Covered Bonds under its Covered Bonds program.
- Advised Deutsche Bank AG in relation to the first Italian issuances of registered covered bonds and in particular the issue by Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A. of a EUR100 million Fixed Rate Euro Denominated Registered Covered Bond; a EUR300 million Fixed Rate Euro Denominated Registered Covered Bond; and a EUR210 million Fixed Rate Euro Denominated Registered Covered Bond in connection with the Intesa Covered Bond Programme (Mortgage) and the issue by Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena S.p.A. of a EUR50 million Zero Coupon Euro Denominated Registered Covered Bond; a EUR75 million Fixed Rate Euro Denominated Registered Covered Bond due 2026; and a EUR75 million Fixed Rate Euro Denominated Registered Covered Bond due 2030 in connection with the BMPS Covered Bond Programme (Mortgage)
- Advised Meliorbanca S.p.A. in relation to the first global restructuring of the five RMBS securitizations carried out by Meliorbanca S.p.A. with issuance by Sestance Finance S.r.l. of asset-backed securities for the purpose of substituting Meliorbanca S.p.A. as servicer with Italfondiario S.p.A. through the approval of the noteholders' meeting.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rome Bar Association
- Rome~Italy (2003)
- LUISS Guido Carli University (J.D. Banking and Financial Law) (2000)
- LUISS Guido Carli University (Licencee Banking and Financial Law) (2000)
Author, "The New Role of the Banking Foundations between Consents and Criticals and the Interesting Prospectives as non-profit Organisations," translated into English, Luiss International Journal, January 2001