Alexandra Lewis is a member of the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the Firm’s Toronto office. Her practice focuses on the protection and enforcement of intellectual property and litigation, with a particular emphasis on global brand management and copyright issues.
As a law student, Alexandra was an editor for the McGill Law Journal and founding editor of the Journal’s podcast series. Prior to law school, Alexandra worked as a paralegal in a leading Washington, DC litigation firm where she assisted in the successful defense of a mass toxic tort matter arising from alleged chemical exposure. Alexandra was a summer student and pursued her Ontario articles of clerkship with Baker McKenzie prior to joining as an associate.
A dual citizen of the US and Canada, Alexandra is licensed to practice in Ontario and New York.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a global media and news aggregator in a copyright infringement dispute brought by several newspaper publishers.
- Advising clients on Internet-related IP issues, including enforcement against online piracy, content takedown, Canada's notice-and-notice provisions, social media issues, and risk management advice relating to novel Internet technologies or online marketing programs.
- Advising on domestic and international trademark prosecution and brand management matters for various clients in the IT, fashion, media, pharmaceutical, food, consumer products, and manufacturing sectors.
- Advising clients on the transfer, licensing, and recording of IP assets.
- Represented a software company in a copyright infringement dispute involving real estate conveyancing software.
- Represented a leading pharmaceutical company in a complex litigation involving issues of inventorship, trade secret, and patent.
- Represented multiple clients in domain name proceedings before the Canadian Internet Resolution Authority.
- Developed a licensing regime to govern the use of a curriculum and certification program for the governing body of a trades profession.
- Advised a leading online video and music platform on content licensing.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- International Trademarks Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association - Entertainment, Media & Communications Law Section
- Ontario~Canada (2014)
- New York~United States (2014)
- McGill University & Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (Copyright Master Class program) (2015)
- McGill University, Faculty of Law (B.C.L, LL.B.) (2012)
- Vanderbilt University (B.S. Human and Organizational Development, International Leadership and Development,, magna cum laude) (2008)