Sergio Legorreta leads Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property and Telecommunications & Information Technology practice groups in Mexico and the Firm's Latin America Intellectual Property Practice. He is also a member of the regional steering committees for these practices. He also co-chairs the Firm’s anti-counterfeiting taskforce worldwide. Mr. Legorreta is also a leading member of the Firm's Luxury and Fashion Taskforce and recognized as one of Mexico's foremost brand expansion advisers.
Mr. Legorreta is a frequent speaker on anti-counterfeiting at major brand enforcement conferences by the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition and the IQPC Anticounterfeiting Summit, among others. He is a board member, adviser and mentor to different organizations, including Endeavor, Wayra, and Startup Mexico.
Mr. Legorreta focuses mostly on telecommunications regulatory issues, including licensing, market entry, contractual transactions, service implementation, as well as data protection and privacy. He is also experienced in advising on cross-border satellite deals — including satellite build and launch transactions — as well as MVNO structures, aircraft data communications, M2M wireless services and other innovative technologies. On intellectual property matters, Sergio Legorreta focuses on strategies to combat large-scale and cross-border counterfeiting and trademark hijacking. He has successfully tried and resolved several of the most relevant recent trademark hijacking cases in Mexico, and he coordinates the management of large trademark portfolios in Latin America for large brand owners like Kidzania.
Representative Legal Matters
Telecommunications & Information Technology
- Advised Virgin Mobile in the expansion of their operations in Latin America.
- Assisted a leading spacecraft manufacturer in the successful bid to sell a communications satellite and related launch services to the Mexican government.
- Represented Jasper Wireless in connection with the regulatory and contractual aspects of Mexico’s first M2M wireless service providers.
- Assisted a major social media company on regulatory aspects of its business in Mexico, including privacy, advertising and commercial matters.
- Represented a global technology company on product compliance and regulatory matters in Mexico.
- Assisted a major smartphone manufacturer in anti-counterfeiting and brand protection matters in Latin America.
- Acted for a multinational company in connection with its Latin America anti-counterfeiting strategies and IP litigation.
- Represented Hollywood talent with image rights, damages and tabloid litigation in Mexico.
- Advised Salesforce.com on global trademark portfolio management strategies.
- Counseled Prada on its market expansion in Latin America.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mexican Institute on Telecommunications Law - Past Board Member
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- Mexican Industrial Property Association - Member
- Business Action to Stop Counterfeiting and Piracy - Board Member
- Mexican Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AMPPI) - Member
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition - Member
- International Association of Outsourcing Professional - Member
- Mexican Telecommunications Law Association - Member
- IACC Mexico - President
- Mexico (1999)
- Harvard University Law School (Law Firm Management) (2014)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diploma Telecommunications) (1999)
- Universidad Iberoamericana (Law Degree) (1998)