Sergio Legorreta leads the Information Technology, Communications and Intellectual Property practices of Baker McKenzie in Mexico. He is a member of the steering committees for such practices in North America and Latin America and co-chairs the Firm´s global anti-counterfeiting practice. He is also the Mexico ambassador for the Firm´s global Innovation Committee, is a co-founder of the Fintech Committee and is a leading member of the Firm´s Luxury and Fashion task force.
Sergio Legorreta is constantly recognized as one of Latin America’s top technology lawyers and one of the foremost advisors on complex technology matters, disruptive technologies and media. Likewise, he is recognized as one of the region´s leading brand expansion advisors.
Sergio Legorreta is a member of several organizations, is a co-founder of La Niña de la Foto, A.C. to combat the non-consented distribution of sexual content over electronic media, a member of Business Action to Stop Anticounterfeiting and Privacy (BASCAP), member and former board member of the Mexican Telecommunications Law Association (IDET) and an active member of the Mexico Internet Association, the International Bar Association, among other. He is a member of boards, advisor and mentor to entrepreneurial organizations such as Endeavor, Wayra, Mass Challenge, MITA Tech and Startup Mexico.
Sergio Legorreta is adjunct professor and co-founder of the course on Media, Entertainment and Technology at the Universidad Iberoamericana in Mexico City.
Some of Sergio Legorreta’s recent recognitions include:
- Legal 500 – Tier 1 (2018)
- Chambers & Partners – Band 1 (2018)
- Media Law International – Band 1 (2018)
- Managing IP – IP Star (2018)
Sergio Legorreta is also known in the music space as DJ PS with a global electronic music approach.
Sergio Legorreta focuses his practice on technology, internet, media, telecommunications, content, electronic commerce, fintech, artificial intelligence, disruptive technologies, entrepreneurship and digital rights. Likewise, he participates often on aspects related to brand expansion, market entry, strategies to protect intellectual property, combat to counterfeiting and trademark hijacking.
His experience includes the implementation of cutting-edge technologies, including the launch and operation of communication satellites, space law, aeronautical internet and communications, mobile virtual network operators, M2M technologies, Smart cars, internet of things, mobility and hospitality technologies, peer to peer platforms, large-scale e-commerce, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
Information Technology and Communications
- Assists Twitter on its operations and strategy in Latin America.
- Coordinates legal advice and strategy for Airbnb in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Counsel to Facebook on legal aspects of its operations in Mexico.
- Advices Google on regulatory and technology aspects in Mexico.
- Assists DiDi Chuxing on its operations in Latin America.
Media, Intellectual Property and Brand Expansion
- Advised Grupo Imagen on contractual matters related to its launch as Mexico’s third national TV chain, including talent, production and distribution.
- Counsel to Sony Playstation on regulatory and content matters around videogames in Mexico.
- Counsel to a major U.S. movie studio on aspects related to rights acquisitions, production and distribution in Mexico.
- Advised in the creation of the movie academy Cinema 23 and the Iberoamerican movie award Premio de Cine Iberoamericano Fénix.
- Counsel to a major US television studio on the creation, production and distribution of television series in Mexico.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- La Niña de la Foto, A.C. – Co-founder
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Mexican Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AMPPI)
- Mexican Telecommunications Law Institute - Past Board Member
- Business Action to Stop Counterfeiting and Piracy (BASCAP) – Global Board Member
- Mexico (1999)
- Harvard University Law School (Law Firm Management) (2014)
- Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (Diploma Telecommunications) (1999)
- Universidad Iberoamericana (Law Degree) (1998)