Michael Leggieri is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Employment and Compensation Practice Group, residing in San Francisco. Michael focuses on employment law disputes, counseling, and trial work.
Michael began his legal career as a law clerk for the Honorable Cathy Ann Bencivengo in the US District Court for the Southern District of California.
Michael serves as lead counsel on employment class actions, representative actions, and high stakes single-plaintiff matters. He counsels employers on personnel management matters such as wage/hour practices, strategic coaching of challenging employee discipline issues, and separations. He has extensive experience litigating and advising on wage/hour issues, employee/independent contractor classification, and claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, and failure to accommodate.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Michael was engaged in the following:
- Acted as senior member of a defense trial team in a jury and bench trial of a wage and hour class action involving meal and rest period claims.
- Acted as senior member of a defense trial team in an arbitration involving alleged misclassification of workers as independent contractors.
- Successfully defeated class certification in a putative class action alleging managers were misclassified as overtime exempt.
- Successfully defeated class certification in a putative class action seeking compensation for time spent going through bag checks.
- Successfully defeated class certification in a putative class action alleging meal and rest period claims.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of clients in cases involving disability discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and wage/hour claims.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States
- Cornell University (BS Industrial and Labor Relations)
- University of San Diego School of Law (JD)