Andrey Lebedev is an associate in the Moscow office of Baker McKenzie. Andrey Lebedev focuses on banking & finance law.
Andrey received recommendations from Chambers Europe 2013-2014 in the sphere of banking and financial law. According to clients' comments, "he is uniquely qualified and firmly committed to obtaining the best results for his clients".
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a major bank in LCIA arbitration proceedings against another Russian bank for a declaration of the subordinated loan agreement as being in force, valid and binding for the parties and for recovery of debt thereunder, including principal and interest. We managed to obtain an anti-suit injunction in the UK courts ordering the stay of the Russian litigation until the completion of the LCIA arbitration. After the award was issued in favor of our clients, the counterparties withdrew their claim in Russia.
- Advising a Bermuda Company in connection with approximately USD 18 million financing provided by the leading Swiss bank for purposes of acquisition of Bombardier Challenger 650 corporate aircraft.
- Advised private investment company A.B. Aterra Resources Ltd. in connection with shareholder financing for the amount of approximately USD 55 million provided together with other shareholder to Silver Bear Resources Inc. and its subsidiary ZAO “Prognoz” for purposes of refinancing of existing indebtedness and financing of construction and commissioning of Mangazeisky silver project in Yakutia. The transaction involved comprehensive security package under Canadian and Russian law.
- Advised a borrower acquiring a stake in a leading real estate developer in Moscow and Moscow region in connection with an over USD 100 million term loan facility from a major Russian bank for the purpose of financing payment of the purchase price for the acquired shares. The transaction featured a comprehensive security package under English, Russian and Cyprus law.
- Advising one of the largest commercial real estate development companies in Central and Eastern Europe, on a USD 480 million 7-year syndicated loan facility arranged by VTB Capital Plc provided for purposes of refinancing of the loan facility for construction of prime Class A office complex in Moscow.
- Advising Kaspersky Group, a Russian IT security software producer, on a secured club loan facility arranged by a club of major European banks and provided in connection with acquisition by Kaspersky Group of “Olympia Park” office complex in Moscow. The loan was secured by pledges of shares of Russian and UK companies and by security over bank accounts in UK, Austria and Russia.
- Advising Bank Petrocommerce in connection with the mortgage securitisation of its RUB 5.9 billion mortgage portfolio. The bonds were placed at the rate of 8.75% p.a. The senior tranche bonds were guaranteed by Agency for Housing and Mortgage Lending.
- Acting as English and Russian counsel to arranger (major German bank) in relation to securitisation of consumer loans originated by CB “Poidem!”.
- Advised HVB Group, Société Générale and the other mandated lead arrangers on the USD 425 million loan facilities to project finance the construction of the Kupol gold and silver mine in the Chukotka region of Eastern Russia. This was the largest project financing for a mine in Russia and is believed to be the largest project financing for a gold and silver mine to date worldwide.
- Advising KBC Group, one of the leading financial groups in Europe, on its acquisition of at least 92.5% of Absolut Bank. The deal values the bank at USD 1 billion (EUR 761 million).
- Leading Individual in Banking and Financial Law, Chambers Europe, 2013-2014
- Russia (2006)
- Moscow State University (2006)
Author, “Peculiarities of pledge in securitization," Economy and Law, N. 2, 2010
Co-author, “Will there be a Standstill Agreement?," Vestnik NAUFOR, N. 1, 2010
Author, “Legal matters of bankruptcy in securitization," Economy and Law, N. 11, 2009
Co-author, “Securitisations Facilitated by Court Clarifications Regarding Receivables," World Securities Law Report, Vol. 14, N. 3, March 2008