John Leadley is a partner in, and chair of, the Firm's Global Dispute Resolution team in London.
John is recognised as a Leading Individual by Legal 500 for both commercial litigation and product liability work Chambers & Partners also cite the quality of his work on European regulatory issues around products.
He is also recognised as a topnotch professional in his field at governmental level. He is the only law firm partner invited by the Department of Business, Innovation & Skills to be part of the steering group set up to consider implementation of the recommendations from its review into consumer product recall processes commissioned in 2015. He has previously taken part in similar initiatives with the Corporation of British Industry and the Association of British Healthcare Industries.
John advises clients on a broad range of commercial litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution, much of it international in nature, relating to general corporate, pharmaceutical and healthcare, and financial services matters. In addition, he regularly advises on product and operational safety risk management, including product recall, environmental and Health & Safety at Work issues. In all these areas, John has extensive experience of advising clients, often at board level, on crisis management, including advice on media and communications issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for Globe Motors Inc, a subsidiary of Safran, in complex proceedings against companies in the TRW group concerning the breach of an exclusive supply agreement.
- Acting for Canaccord Genuity Limited in the defence of Commercial Court proceedings concerning the collapse of The American Leisure Group.
- Representing an airport operator in LCIA arbitration proceedings against a low cost airline concerning pricing issues.
- Acting for Ineos Manufacturing Scotland Limited (formerly part of BP Chemicals) in a major Commercial Court action concerning ownership of CO2 emissions allowances valued in excess of GBP100 million.
- Advising on and coordinating numerous product recalls for manufacturers in various industry sectors, including Mattel, BOSE, Starbucks and Sony Ericsson. Managing two pan-European recalls of defective batteries used in a well known laptop product.
- Acting for Stryker Corporation in various product liability claims.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1991)
- Inns of Court School of Law (B.A.) (1985)
- Oxford University (Exeter College) (B.A. Civil Law) (1984)
- Oxford University (Exeter College) (B.A. Law) (1983)