James is an associate with over five years' experience in the construction industry and nearly three years' post-admission experience.
James advises clients in relation to major projects and infrastructure, with a specific focus on successfully delivering projects that are in their back-end stages. He retains a broad commercial knowledge of the project life cycle and has been deployed, at various stages, to provide litigious support or commercial guidance. James' practice focus extends across the project lifespan, from preparation and negotiation of contracts, contract administration and project delivery advice, through to strategic and tactical guidance with claims and disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for large multinational entity domiciled in People's Republic of China as a respondent in resisting security of payment claim valued in excess of USD 20 million.
- Acting for a global construction company in an adjudication which is before the Queensland Supreme Court and involves a notice of a constitutional matter under section 78B of the Judiciary Act 1903 (Cth).
- Advising and acting for various international entities in relation to renewable (solar and wind) project disputes in Australia, including security of payment strategy and execution.
- Advising a multinational power generation developer on ongoing claims, contract management and disputes on wind farm projects in Victoria.
- Advised an international engineering company on the national litigation strategy with respect to current and potential claims arising from “combustible cladding” rectification schemes.
- Acted for an international entity in relation to the dispute resolution and litigation regarding enforcement of over PGK 25 million outstanding in payment for services performed for a government instrumentality of Papua New Guinea.
- Project advisory and procurement support to an Australian mining company in relation to the rehabilitation of one of the largest integrated iron ore railway systems in the world based out of the Pilbara, Western Australia.
- Advised and acted for a civil contractor joint venture in respect of an expert determination for the AUD 4.9 billion Woolgoolga to Ballina HW10 Pacific Highway upgrade in New South Wales, Australia.
- Advised an international entity in relation to the coordination of an urgent project set-up and delivery model for an operation and maintenance agreement of a government-owned critical infrastructure asset in Papua New Guinea worth over AUD 200 million.
- Advised tier 1 contractor in relation to the preparation of long and short form claim submissions tabled in a SCOTT schedule for submission in a dispute resolution process for a AUD 1.8 billion, eight arterial road upgrade in Victoria, Australia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Queensland Law Society
- Member, Society of Construction Law Australia
- High Court of Australia (2021)
- Supreme Court of Queensland~Australia (2020)
- Queensland University of Technology (LLB Hons) (2020)
- Co-author, "Australia: Reminder - Project trust account regime extends to private sector building contracts valued at AUD 10 million or more from 1 January 2022", Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 2021.