Steve Labrum joined Baker McKenzie's transfer pricing practice in 2016. He has twenty years of experience working for Big Four accounting firms, including seventeen years as a partner and as Global Head of Financial Services Transfer Pricing. Steve has also worked in the banking industry for five years.
Steve’s practice covers transfer pricing policy design, business restructuring, global documentation, and controversy with tax authorities. His primary industry focus is financial services, including the full spectrum of banking, investment management and insurance clients. Steve also has considerable experience in the areas of intangibles and commercial risks, and has worked with a range of clients across a number of industries. He has also worked extensively on transfer pricing engagements for the corporate treasuries of multinationals, where his knowledge of financial markets has been critical to addressing clients' needs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a European bank in submitting and negotiating a series of bilateral APAs related to the attribution of risk and earnings related to its commercial lending activities where key people from multiple offices were involved in the lending process.
- Supported an insurance client in resolving an enquiry by HMRC into its cross-border reinsurance arrangements, and in so doing, agreed the client's position with respect to the UK Diverted Profits Tax.
- Assisted an investment management client in the preparation of global documentation and subsequently helped the client to successfully resolve an HMRC enquiry into its transfer pricing policies.
- Assisted a US-based financial institution in designing and implementing a restructuring of its European operations.
- Swarthmore College (B.A. English Literature)
- University of Texas (MBA Corporate Finance)