Marina Kuptsova is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Moscow office. Marina handles employment and migration law issues. Prior to joining the Firm in 2016, she worked at another law firm.
Marina's focus areas include the following:
- Advising on general employment law (preparing comments, memos, etc.)
- Workforce restructuring and optimization
- Alternative workforce (staff leasing, outsourcing, engaging contractors, etc.)
- Employment disputes (elaborating on strategy, preparing submissions and participating in court hearings)
- Employment aspects in the context of corporate law
- Employment aspects in the context of transactions (due diligence, transfer of employees, steps within reorganization, etc.)
- Employment termination (staff redundancy, disciplinary dismissal, settlement strategy, etc.)
- Working time solutions (shift work, flexible working hours, etc.)
- Advising on remote working arrangements
- Advising on employee compensation and benefits
- Drafting employment documents and localizing global policies
- Advising on general immigration law
Representative Legal Matters
Marina's relevant experience includes the following:
- Advised an international social media company on the full scope of employment matters in Russia, including structuring employment with different types of employees, elaborating on working time solutions and drafting local policies taking account of the group's global rules; supported the transfer of employees from vendors to the local legal entity, which included preparing all related employment documentation and advising on various issues connected with the change of the employing entity, in general and in view of COVID-19 restrictions.
- Supported a multinational pharmaceutical company with the termination of employment and corporate relations with the CEO of its legal entities in Russia and Ukraine and the head of representative offices in ten jurisdictions (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan).
- Advised a global commercial real estate services company on options for the employment termination of a top manager, including elaborating on the strategy and preparing related documentation; represented the client in court in relation to an employment dispute with a dismissed employee.
- Coordinated a staff optimization project at a multinational pharmaceutical company in the CIS and other jurisdictions, providing full support during lay-offs in Russia; provided ongoing advice on employment (including remote working arrangements and electronic document flow).
- Supported the local subsidiary of an Italian group of companies in the engineering, technology and energy sectors in Russia during an audit by the State Labor Inspectorate, including developing a strategy for disclosing documents, preparing all communications with the inspector, advising on addressing the revealed gaps and inconsistences, and attending the inspector's office to negotiate on the audit's findings.
- Supported a multinational information technology company on structuring remote work, including preparing all related employment documentation and advising on practical issues.
- Supported a multinational conglomerate corporation with a mass restructuring of its headcount in Russia, including developing the strategy and step-plan, drafting all required documents and resolving non-standard situations, and providing ongoing advice to the client on various other issues; successfully participated in termination negotiations with employees in several regions of Russia.
- Supported a client with an amicable separation with the CEO of its Russian legal entities; advised on structuring interim arrangements and supported the client with obtaining the required migration permits for a new foreign national CEO; provided full employment, migration and corporate legal support.
- Supported a client with the termination of employment with its general director.
- Supported a client with the termination of employment with two employees involved in a compliance case.
- Russia (2012)
- Lund University (Master's degree in law) (2013)
- National Research University Higher School of Economics (Bachelor's degree in law) (2012)
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.