Joanna Kuok is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group in Sydney. She primarily focuses on corporate tax matters, and domestic and international acquisitions and reorganizations.
Joanna's practice focuses on Australian taxation and international tax planning related to direct investment in Australia by multinational corporations, as well as general tax planning for large Australian enterprises. Joanna has assisted clients in many different industries, including technology, fast food, renewable energy, capital management and fashion retail.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Joanna handled the following matters:
- Advised on cross-border tax efficient structuring and loss recoupment.
- Assessed and advised on permanent establishment exposure risk for domestic and foreign companies.
- Advised an international client on its Australian operations and the potential application of the newly-enacted Common Reporting Standards.
- Advised on tax concessions available to early-stage venture capital limited partnerships.
- Advised on the application of shortfall interest charges and other tax penalties.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Taxation Institute of Australia - Member
- Assisted Mazi Mas Australia in preparing submissions to the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission and the Australian Taxation Office to seek registration as a charity and to obtain deductible gift recipient status.
- Assisted Growing Nepal Foundation Ltd with its tax registrations.
- Assisted Sydney Eye Hospital Foundation in obtaining deductible gift recipient status.
- Assisted Dragon Claw Website Developments Pty Ltd with its charity structure planning.
- Assisted Anti-Slavery Australia in preparing a research paper regarding protection in Australia for young adults from forced marriage.
- New South Wales~Australia (2016)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2016)
- University of New South Wales (LLB , BCom) (2014)
- Yonsei University (Exchange) (2014)
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (LLB Summer School) (2014)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.