Joanna is an Associate in the tax team, based in Sydney. Joanna primarily advises on corporate tax implications of domestic and international transactions and structuring decisions, with broader experience in tax controversy.
Joanna's practice focuses on the Australian taxation and international tax planning related to direct investment in Australia by multinational corporations, as well as general tax planning for large Australian enterprises. Joanna has assisted clients in a range of industries, including technology, renewable energy, capital management, real estate, and infrastructure.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a multinational company on the disposal of its Australian portfolio of 23 hotels.
- Advising a renewable infrastructure LSX-listed company on the acquisition of three Australian solar farms.
- Advising an ASX-listed company on its redomiciliation to the US via a scheme of arrangement.
- Representing multinational companies in Australian Taxation Office audits and risk reviews, as well as investigations commenced by state revenue authorities.
- Advising large Australian corporate groups on tax sharing and funding agreements.
- Advising on cross-border tax efficient structuring and loss recoupment.
- Assessing and advising permanent establishment exposure risk, tax residency, withholding tax obligations, and the tax aspects of cross-border debt financing for domestic and foreign companies.
- Advising investment banks on the tax implications of their wealth management strategies, including cross-border payments.
- Advising on the application of shortfall interest charges and other tax penalties.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Taxation Institute of Australia - Member
- Assisted Mazi Mas Australia in preparing submissions to the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission and the Australian Taxation Office to seek registration as a charity and to obtain deductible gift recipient status.
- Assisted Growing Nepal Foundation Ltd with its tax registrations.
- Assisted Sydney Eye Hospital Foundation in obtaining deductible gift recipient status.
- Assisted Anti-Slavery Australia in preparing a research paper regarding protection in Australia for young adults from forced marriage.
- New South Wales~Australia (2016)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2016)
- University of New South Wales (LLB , BCom) (2014)
- Yonsei University (Exchange) (2014)
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (LLB Summer School) (2014)
- Baker McKenzie Tax Legal Alert: Diverted Profits Tax Bill introduced (February 2017)
- Baker McKenzie Tax Legal Alert: ATO moves focus to stapled structures (February 2017)