Elena Kukushkina is a counsel and coordinator in the Moscow office Labor and Migration practice. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked at another leading global law firm. Ms. Kukushkina has written articles as well as spoken in conferences and seminars about labor and immigration law. She is recommended by Chambers Europe and Legal 500 EMEA for her employment work. Sources describe Ms. Kukushkina as “fast, practical and business-oriented” as well as "result- driven."
Ms. Kukushkina is seasoned in employment and immigration law matters, and has extensive experience in representing major Russian and international companies in various labor disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a number of major pharmaceutical companies in multiple court disputes with former and current employees, conducted an audit of internal HR policies, and represented the clients in negotiations with protected categories of employees, among other labor and employment concerns.
- Advised a major manufacturer of networking equipment on the immediate dismissal of four employees due to compliance issues.
- Advised a major automobile manufacturer on employment and migration issues in connection with corporate restructuring, including employee transfer and termination of employment.
- Advised two major airlines on conducting an HR audit in their Moscow representative offices, as well as on the termination of employment of the HR director in the Moscow office. Also developed a number of local policies for the clients and assisted with staff redundancy at a subdivision.
- Advised an American multinational technology and consulting corporation on a wide range of commercial, regulatory, privacy/data protection, encryption, corporate compliance, employment and corporate issues across Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Ukraine and several Central Asian jurisdictions.
- Advised an international media agency on work safety issues, termination of employment of a number of employees, negotiations on salary indexation with employees and other labor law matters.
- Advised an international FMCG company in connection with collective bargaining negotiations at one of its factories in Russia, on refusal to join an industry accord and other labour law issues related to collective bargaining and trade unions.
- Advised an UK-headquartered bank, one of the world's largest institutions providing finance and banking services, in connection with a mass staff reduction following closure of the bank's personal finance business in Russia, advised on dismissal of "protected class" employees and trade union leaders.
- Advised Merck, Sharp & Dohme on Russian employment and migration issues related to its global merger with Schering Plough.
- Advised Microsoft on various issues related to structuring employment with foreigners, Russian labor issues, including migration and tax issues.
- Advised major multinational clients on employee secondment arrangements in Russia, outsourcing and outstaffing of personnel.
- Advised on personal data protection, trade secret protection and transfer of intellectual property rights in connection with employment.
- Russia (1999)
- Moscow State University (1999)
- Co-author, "Russia: New industry agreement for machine-building sector," Bakermckenzie InsightPlus, 12 August 2020
- Co-author, "Moscow Extends Self-isolation Regime," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, May 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 - Russia Eases Rules for Foreign Employees," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
- Co-author, "Moscow Announces New Restrictions on Businesses and Residents," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
- Co-author, "Latest Measures Against Coronavirus in Russia," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.