Aki Kuboyama is a member of the Projects Group in the Firm’s Tokyo office. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she was part of the EU & Competition Paralegal team in a Silver Circle firm in London investigating a major cartel case. She was seconded to the legal department of a major Japanese utility, where she supported mainly on LNG and power plant projects, as well as energy solution business around the world.
Ms. Kuboyama’s practice focuses on the areas of mergers and acquisitions, arbitration and energy related transactions. She assists cases for not only outbound M&A, but also inbound investments in Japanese solar power projects. In addition, she assists cases in upstream, midstream and downstream project's various contracts such as PPAs, SPAs and EPC contracts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted in the acquisitions of solar power projects in Japan by foreign companies.
- Assisted with bank loan and intragroup loan arrangements for new business investment by a major Japanese utility.
- Assisted in drafting the EPC contract for the LNG terminal construction in Southeast Asia by a JV including a major Japanese utility.
- Assisted in various JCAA arbitrations in Japan in relation to a Japanese company's investment in Mongolia.
- Assisted with regards to an ICC Arbitration seated in Singapore involving a Share Purchase Agreement.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2015)
- BPP Law School (LL.M.) (2012)
- BPP Law School (Legal Practice Course) (2011)
- University of Bristol (LL.B.) (2009)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.