Representative Legal Matters
Took over as lead counsel for trial of ICC arbitration matter filed by two international integrated energy companies, involving operation and conversion of LNG plant terminal in Latin America, to pursue damage claims and counter claims of over half a billion USD; recently handled live hearing with 3 member ICC Arbitration panel in Mexico City in October 2021.
Acted as lead trial counsel in a Texas Court in Houston and obtained a jury verdict after a six-week trial with actual damages of USD 77 million in a judgment awarded in favor of his client, the Plaintiff, a publicly-traded corporation, for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and conspiracy, in an oilfield kickback scheme involving hundreds of millions in international transactions.
Working as lead counsel in prosecution of plaintiff case involving claimed insurance exclusion on indemnity provisions for upstream oil company, total indemnity of approximately USD 30 million.
Working as lead counsel in dispute matter in initial international arbitration and mediation proceedings for global LNG company based in Asia for failure to deliver at terminal on the Gulf Coast and resulting in damages including loss profit on the spot market.
Handled as lead appellate counsel a mandamus proceeding in commercial litigation to the Texas Court of Appeals involving fraud and fiduciary duty claims and the assertion of Fifth Amendment privilege over thousands of records; with the appellate court ruling in favor of the client, an international oilfield supply and services company.
Worked as co-lead trial counsel defending an alternative energy company in a supply contract lawsuit involving breach of contract, warranty, and quality claims for component parts for energy electric power fuel cells, with claim alleging over USD 20 million in damages in the U.S. District Court. The case settled successfully immediately prior to the trial.
Successfully defended, as lead trial counsel, a lawsuit against an international engineering firm for over USD 33 million in damages over the design and engineering of a petrochemical plant. The case was dismissed with no payment by his client after a year of investigations and litigation.
Defended and obtained a dismissal of claims by the US Department of Justice for over USD 42 million, in fines and penalties, over cross-border matters against a major automobile manufacturer. The DOJ dismissed all of its claims after motions, discovery and depositions.
Worked as lead counsel prosecuting a claim for a major international engineering firm as claimant in an arbitration before the American Arbitration Association in Houston, Texas, for over USD 50 million in damages under a contract against the owners of a petrochemical plant in Texas. After discovery and motions, the case was settled favorably for his client before trial.
Defended a major international energy firm in an arbitration case before the International Chamber of Commerce over claims involving construction and engineering of facilities in South America for electric power generation, processing of petrochemicals, and natural gas pipelines. After the arbitration, handled a related lawsuit challenging the award for a successful decision in the US District Court in Houston, Texas.
- BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star (2018)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Association of Defense Counsel - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Texas State Bar - Member
- Texas Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- U.S. Court of International Trade~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2005)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2001)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1994)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1991)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1990)
- Texas~United States (1989)
- Vanderbilt University Law School (JD) (1989)
- University of St. Andrews (Bobby Jones Scholar) (1986)
- Emory University (BA Economics) (1985)
- Quoted, “Superior Energy Unit Gets $72M In Suit Against Ex-COO, CFO,” Law360, 12 April 2019
- Quoted, “Houston Judge Orders Ex Execs to Pay Superior Energy $72M in Global Kickback Saga,” The Texas Lawbook, 16 April 2019
- Quoted, “Superior Energy’s associate general counsel started suing when he was just 19,” Houston Chronicle, 29 April 2019
- Speaker, Webinar, “Looking Ahead: Remote Court Proceedings & What All Lawyers Must Consider About Cybersecurity and Ethical Issues,” 12 February 2021
- Speaker on Panel, "Developments in International Arbitration in the Energy Industry," 5th Annual Oil and Gas Institute, 10 May 2018
- Speaker, Webinar, "The Perils and Pitfalls of Attorney-Client Privilege for the In-House Counsel," 25 April 2018