Sergey Krokhalev is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group in Moscow. Mr. Krokhalev is the deputy chairman of the Association of European Businesses Legal Committee, and a member of the Franco-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Energy Committee and the working group to set up an International Financial Center in Moscow. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2006, he worked as a lawyer at the ACS-Most law firm and at EASK-Invest.
Mr. Krokhalev focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, general corporate law matters, and dispute resolution. He advises multinational and domestic clients on high-profile M&A transactions and joint ventures, frequently in the healthcare sector, oil and gas, energy and infrastructure.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Repsol S.A. on the establishment of an upstream joint venture with Gazprom Neft. The joint venture company, Eurotek Yuga, owns seven exploratory blocks in West Siberia, a relatively underexplored area with significant potential.
- Advised JSC Freight Village Kaluga on a joint venture with PJSC Transcontainer, to operate two multi-module transport and logistics hubs. Completed within a short time frame, the deal offers new opportunities to develop a major railway transport hub close to Moscow.
- Advised Walgreens Boots Alliance, a global pharmacy-led health and well-being enterprise on the sale of its Russian pharmaceutical wholesale business to 36.6, a leading Russian health and beauty retailer. Following completion, the client now owns a 15% stake in the retailer.
- Acted as corporate and tax counsel to Gazprom Energoholding LLC, a major Russian oil and gas company on the acquisition of a major coal producer and trader in Kazakhstan. The deal involved complex analysis of issues related to re-financing of the target companies as part of the transaction structure, and advising on regulatory approvals prior to transaction closing.
- Advised the shareholders of Novatek, Russia’s largest independent gas producer on the sale of a 12 % stake to Total as part of a strategic partnership.
- Advised Carlsberg on consolidating 100 % shares in one of the largest brewing companies in Europe, and on a public offer to buy a 15.45 % stake for approximately USD 1.2 billion from minority shareholders and subsequent squeeze-out of the remaining shareholders.
- Advised Smith & Nephew, a global medical technology company, on its acquisition of the trauma and orthopedics distribution business of DeOst LLC and DC LLC, a manufacturing company in the DeOst group.
- Advised Acino, a Swiss-based pharmaceutical, on its acquisition of a Russian pharmaceutical engaged in marketing, sales and distribution of pharmaceuticals in the gynecology sector and for antithrombotic treatment.
- Advised Yamal Development LLC on a USD 2.94 billion acquisition of a 60 % equity stake in Artic Russia from Eni. Artic Russia owns a 49 % interest in SeverEnergia, a Russian oil and gas company operating in the Yamal-Nenets region.
- Advised the shareholders of OJSC Meditsina, a major Russian clinic accredited by the Joint Commission International standards, in connection with the sale of a 6.09% stake to an international financial institution.
- Russia (2006)
- Ural State Law Academy (LL.B., summa cum laude) (2002)
- Co-author, "Domestic Alternative to Foreign Trusts and Foundations," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 19 July 2021
- Co-author, "New Opportunities for Renewable Energy in Russia," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, May 2020
- Co-author, "Corporate Rules Eased During Coronavirus Crisis," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020