As tax counsel in Baker McKenzie's Johannesburg Tax Practice, Jana's key focus is to advise clients in all industry sectors on South African Value Added Tax (VAT).
Jana also leads Baker McKenzie's Africa Tax Group, which focuses on assisting clients with their tax legal requirements on the African continent. Her passion is to assist clients build efficient and effective tax functions that are aligned with, and compliments, the overall group strategy while adding value to the organisation at large, including building risk intelligent frameworks and making tax integral to business planning and risk management.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an engineering and construction company on the indirect tax implications in relation to its acquisition of Burger King South Africa.
- Advised a multinational holding company on indirect tax implications arising from a proposed transaction in Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi,and Namibia.
- Advised a large corporation on a potential dispute on withholding tax on transaction and interchange fees in Kenya.
- Advised a client in the entertainment industry on VAT implications and government incentives of film production in South Africa.
- Advised a multinational corporation that provides information technology, consulting and business process services, and assisted with due diligence review and structuring of the proposed acquisition of the entire issued share capital in Canway Proprietary Limited and its subsidiaries in South Africa.
- Advised a client in the mining and construction sector on the VAT implications of the disposal of non-core assets.
- Advised a various multinational clients in the travel space on its VAT obligations in South Africa.
- Advised various clients on the VAT implications of Electronic Services VAT and Digital Services Tax in South Africa and various African countries.
- Advised a multinational technology on the indirect tax implications of connecting a submarine cable at various points on the African continent including South Africa and Namibia, among others.
- Advised a multinational technology client on the indirect tax implications of the importation of regulated devices into South Africa as well as the VAT implications of carrier billing arrangements in South Africa and various other African countries including Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Ethiopia to name a few.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- South African Institute of Tax Practitioners (Master Tax Practitioner (SA))
- The Institute of Business Advisors Southern Africa
- University of South Africa (Post Graduate Certificate in the Principles of Business Management) (2011)
- University of South Africa (Post Graduate Certificate Professional Practice Framework for Internal Audit) (2008)
- University of Johannesburg in conjunction with the South African Tax Institute (Higher Diploma in South African and International Tax) (2004)
- South African Tax Institute (Advanced Certificate in Taxation) (2002)
- Vaal University of Technology (National Diploma in Cost and Management Accounting) (2002)