Alexander Korkin is an associate in the St. Petersburg office of Baker McKenzie. He is the head of the Employment Practice Group and works in dispute resolution. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2017, Alexander worked as head of the Labor and Migration Practice Group of a major Russian law firm in St. Petersburg.
Alexander focuses on dispute resolution, employment and migration, and personal data.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a global container carrier in arbitration courts on recovery of debt for services provided, enforcement upon the goods withheld and damage compensation.
- Represented an international bank in numerous disputes with consumers in courts of several authorities, including the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation.
- Represented a number of financial, trading and manufacturing companies in antimonopoly bodies in matters regarding abuse of dominant positions, concerted practice and unfair competition.
- Represented international and Russian companies in numerous court disputes with employees, including cases on unfair dismissal and reinstatement at work, recovery of employee compensations, challenging denial of employment, etc.
- Advised several international and Russian companies on the implementation of new requirements regarding the legislation on temporary agency work.
- Represented an international beverages company in the course of a conflict with the trade union, including advising on strikes, representing interests in courts on claims for reinstatement at work and challenging the decisions of the prosecutor's office and the labor inspectorate.
- Advised a number of Russian and foreign companies on the implementation of anti-corruption policies, policies on commercial secrets and conflicts of interest, and prevention of abuse of senior officials.
- Supported the process of termination of employment contracts due to the closure of a division of a global manufacturer of home appliances, including developing an action plan, preparing documents and interacting with the trade union.
- Advised a Russian telecoms company on trade union matters, including advice on strategy of interacting with the trade union and ways to improve employee involvement and participation, and preparation of the waiver to accede to the Federal Industry Collective Agreement.
- Comprehensively supported a global packaging manufacturer in issues related to accidents, including advice on formalization and investigation, preparation of documents, representation in the prosecutor's office and the State Labor Inspectorate in the course of the investigation, and consideration of administrative cases.
- Recognized Individual in Employment, The Legal 500 EMEA 2015
- Alexander is co-chair of the HR Committee of the St. Petersburg International Business Association (SPIBA)
- Alexander participated in drafting bills amending labor and employment laws, including those on temporary agency work (adopted in 2014), telework (adopted in 2013), electronic HR paperwork (pending) and others
- Russia (2007)
- St. Petersburg State University (PhD Law) (2012)
- Irkutsk State University (Law Law Degree with honors) (2007)
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.