Masamichi Komatsu is a member of Baker McKenzie's Major Project Practice Group in Tokyo. He has more than a decade of legal experience assisting foreign and Japanese energy companies and utilities on legal issues. He was seconded to the Electricity and Gas Market Surveillance Commission at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry from 2015 to 2017. He dealt with the amendments of the ministry's ordinance on transmission and distribution operators and guidelines for retail businesses and proper transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a foreign power company in its entry into the Japanese retail market.
- Acted for a foreign company in the structuring and agreements for a mega solar power project in Miyagi, Japan.
- Acted for a Japanese energy company acquiring an equity interest in a major LNG project in Southeast Asia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association – Member
- Japan~Japan (2001)
- University of Tokyo (LLB) (1997)
- Boston University (LLM in American Law) (2014)
- Boston University (LLM in Banking and Finance Law) (2015)