Karyn Koiffman has extensive experience handling legal and business issues involving the United States and Brazil, leveraging over 12 years of transactional practice in the US and four years of practice in Brazil. She represents clients doing business in Latin America and in the United States.
Karyn was named one of the Top 40 Under 40 Lawyers in the US by M&A Adviser in 2013. She is a member of the board of directors of the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce.
Karyn focuses her practice on compliance and investigations. She has particular knowledge in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations and the representation of foreign issuers (including Brazilian companies) that are subject to the jurisdiction of the US Department of Justice and US Securities and Exchange Commission. Karyn also works on pre- and post-closing compliance due diligence and the enhancement of compliance programs to prevent, mitigate and resolve associated risks.
Karyn also represents clients in cross-border transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, global expansions, joint venture and alliance agreements, and other multijurisdictional commercial agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Brazilian multinational companies in FCPA investigations of bribery allegations in connection with Brazil’s Lava Jato anti-corruption probe.
- Representing a Brazilian pharmaceutical company in its investment in a US start-up.
- Represented a US investor in its exit scenarios from a Brazilian joint venture.
- Represented a publicly-held US multinational with presence in more than 175 countries, in connection with its relationship with its franchisees in Mexico.
- Represented the special committee of Brazil Fast Food Corporation in a takeover by its majority shareholder.
- Represented Brazilian private equity funds Mantiq Investimentos and Mare Investimentos in a new business co-owned with DeepFlex, Inc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce - Board of Directors
- IBRADEMP - New York Chapter, Brazilian Institute of Business Law
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2018)
- New York~United States (2004)
- Brazil~Brazil (1998)
- University of Michigan Law School (LL.M.) (2003)
- Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie Law School (LL.B.) (1998)