Tsutomu Kobayashi is a member of the Firm’s Banking & Finance group in Tokyo. He primarily works in the areas of structured finance such as project finance and acquisition finance. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked at the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, Ltd. (currently The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd.). He was seconded for one year in 2010 to the London office of Baker McKenzie and the structured finance department of Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Europe Limited (London) where he worked on energy-related project finance, etc. He was also seconded for one year in 2011 to the legal department of Shinsei Bank Limited (Tokyo) where he engaged in general legal work for banking.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented financial institutions or business operators in many project finance transactions — including large-scaled coal- and LNG-fired thermal power generation projects, renewable energy power generation projects (e.g. wind, solar and biomass) and resource recycling projects.
- Represented financial institutions, business operators or public sectors in many PFI / PPP transactions — including PFI projects of school facilities, indoor pools, gymnasiums, civic centers, hospitals and other facilities.
- Represented a syndicate of financial institutions in a project finance transaction for the multiple solar power projects using rooftops of agricultural facilities, among others.
- Represented a syndicate of financial institutions in a project finance transaction for the first Japanese wood-based biomass power project.
- Represented a syndicate of financial institutions in a PFI transaction involving construction, operation and maintenance of the Diet Members' Office Building, the largest PFI transaction in Japan at the time.
- Represented a syndicate of financial institutions in a PFI transaction involving development, operation and maintenance of the satellite system.
- Represented a syndicate of financial institutions in a going-private MBO transaction with respect to one of the largest Japanese-listed leisure and amusement company at the time (this transaction won the Debt Market Deal of the Year at the Asian Legal Business Japan Law Awards).
- Represented a syndicate of financial institutions in a going-private MBO transaction with respect to a listed manufacturer of electric equipment for specialized vehicles.
- Represented a syndicate of financial institutions in a refinancing transaction of an existing project finance with respect to a large theme park project.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2004)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (LL.M.) (2010)
- Tokyo University (LL.B.) (1998)
Co-author, "Fukushima Gets a Gas-Fired Solution," PFI Yearbook 2018, Thomson Reuters, December 2017
Co-author, "Regulations Supporting Renewable Electricity Generation and Feed-in Tariffs in UK," MUFG BizBuddy, MUFG membership site, August 2011
Presenter, "Project Finance in Japan: From the basics to contract practices," FN Communications, April 2017
Presenter, "Solar power and other renewable energy projects: The new policy and practical considerations for project financing," Financial Management Forums, Inc., November 2016
Presenter, "Project Finance in Japan: Practical considerations for preparing contracts," Financial Management Forums, Inc., July 2016