Jordan Kirkness is a partner in our North America Employment & Compensation Law Practice Group. Advising and representing employers in all areas of employment, labour and compensation law, Jordan has a broad range of experience in both public and private sectors, including union and non-union workplaces. In every matter, Jordan works hard to understand each client’s individual needs, and provides tailored, strategic and pragmatic advice to assist clients in identifying the best legal solution.
Jordan’s practice focuses on employment, labour and executive compensation law. He negotiates and drafts agreements concerning employment and compensation issues in transactions and reorganizations. Jordan advises national and multinational corporations on compliance and best practices. He negotiates and prepares executive employment agreements, collective bargaining agreements, and incentive compensation plans.
Jordan was admitted to the bar in Ontario and British Columbia in 2010, and has appeared before administrative tribunals, arbitrators and all levels of Court in Ontario. He skillfully defends corporate interests in employment disputes, including wrongful dismissal claims, union grievances, workers’ compensation claims, and human rights tribunal applications. Jordan’s litigation experience gives him a deep understanding of the legal risks at issue in his solicitor work, and frequent opportunities to implement creative, practical solutions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Law Society of British Columbia - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2010)
- British Columbia~Canada (2010)
- Dalhousie University (Juris Doctor) (2009)
- University of Calgary (Bachelor of Arts Philosophy Honours) (2006)
- University of Toronto (Bachelor of Music in Performance) (2001)
- Speaker, “Human Rights, Labour and Employment Update: Case Law and Current Trends,” Council of Ontario Universities, Presentation to Legal Counsel, October 2020
- Author, "New Workplace Harassment and Violence Prevention Regime for Federally Regulated Employers," LexisNexis Canada, Employment and Labour Law Reporter, October 2020
- Author, "Checklist for Managing Work-From-Home Employees During the Pandemic," LexisNexis Canada, Employment and Labour Law Reporter, May 2020
- Author, "Ontario’s Seesawing Labour Law Changes are Politically Motivated - and Employers are Paying the Price," Globe and Mail, October 31, 2018
- Speaker, "Avoiding Hiring Hiccups – How to Start the Relationship Off Right," 2018 HR Law Conference, Human Resources Professionals Association, October 18, 2018