Brandon King is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Tax Practice Group in Washington, DC. He focuses on tax controversy and tax planning. Prior to joining the Firm, Brandon was a law clerk for the Honorable Albert G. Lauber at the United States Tax Court (2016-2018). He also served as a Presidential Personnel Associate in the Obama administration’s Executive Office of the President (2015-2016), where he was the tax advisor on the vetting team for presidential nominations.
Brandon advises clients on a wide variety of tax issues, ranging from large tax case litigation and administrative dispute resolution at IRS Exam and Appeals to structuring outbound and inbound IP and real estate transactions both inside and outside the M&A context. Brandon has also handled corporate tax planning for both domestic and international transactions, including implementing new supply chain structures and intercompany financing arrangements. He also advises clients on substantive and procedural challenges to IRS and Treasury guidance under the Administrative Procedure Act. Brandon has also handled a diverse array of tax issues for clients in both controversy and planning postures, including transfer pricing valuation disputes, tax treaty interpretation, real estate sale and lease transactions, FDII and BEAT planning, and conservation easement transaction planning and dispute resolution.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Section on Taxation, Vice Chair, Young Lawyer’s Forum
- J. Edgar Murdock American Inns of Court (U.S. Tax Court) - Associate Member
- Federal Bar Association, Section on Taxation, Private Sector Vice Chair, FBA Annual Tax Law Conference (2020)
- Federal Bar Association, Section on Taxation, Steering Committee, Member
- Federal Bar Association, LGBT Law Section, Chair (2019-2021)
- National LGBT Bar Association, Membership & Diversity Committee, Member
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2019)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2019)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2016)
- District of Columbia~United States (2016)
- Indiana~United States (2015)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. in Taxation, with Distinction and Dean's Honors, Graduate Tax Scholar) (2016)
- Indiana University - Maurer School of Law (J.D. magna cum laude) (2015)
- University of Cincinnati (B.A. Political Science summa cum laude) (2012)
- Author, "United States: IRS on a roll with conservation easement victories — when will it end?," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 1 October 2020
- Author, "The Young Lawyer’s Perspective on Tax Practice," Young Lawyers Corner, American Bar Association, Vol. 39 No. 2 - Winter 2020, 27 February 2020
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.