Representative Legal Matters
Representative experiences in the M&A space include (some are from prior employment):
A complex joint venture developing revolutionary technology that was eventually commercialized, including various rounds of preferred stock and debt financing, where venture value was enhanced through economic development incentives negotiated with a local government and innovation-related tax credits.
A reverse triangular merger involving a publicly-traded master limited partnership that owned a petrochemical plant valued at USD 2.5 billion.
Taxable and tax-free acquisitions of multiple companies by an insurance conglomerate, with some of the deals involving creeping acquisitions and complex S corporation issues.
Various cross-border deals involving acquisitions of gold and uranium mining companies, with one of the deals at USD 7 billion being the largest deal of its kind to date at the time.
Stock acquisition of a medical equipment start-up by one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world in a deal involving a combination of cash and earn-outs valued at USD 150 million.
A series of deals involving stock and asset acquisitions of seed technology companies by a global agri-business conglomerate.
Acquisitions and divestitures of biofuels and natural gas assets by large energy industry players in various combinations of stock and asset deals.
A multi-country sale of intellectual property that involved complex hive-off issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, International Section (International trade, Tax and Africa Committees)
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Tax Institute Planning Committee (2005-2009)
- New York~United States (2019)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2005)
- Minnesota~United States (2001)
- University of Minnesota (MBT) (2001)
- University of Minnesota Law School (JD, cum laude) (1999)
- University of St. Thomas (BA, cum laude) (1994)
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Minnesota Law School, Practice and Professionalism (Track 2), Spring Semester 2010
- Adjunct Faculty, William Mitchell College of Law, The Legal Practicum: Business Practice course, Business Planning Seminar I – Organization & Tax, Winter and Fall Semesters 2008, 2009
- VIP Invitee, East Africa Com LeadersIn Africa Summit - AfCFTA Roundtable, "How African businesses can leverage the African Continental Free Trade Area and what are the challenges?" with the African Union Commission, business leaders and other stakeholders, May 2021
- Speaker, African Webinar Series on Economy: Implementing African Projects with co-panelists from the Center for Global Development and the University of Oxford, April 2021
- Presenter, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators Africa Chapter Webinar, "Eastern & Southern African Oil & Gas Markets: Financing the Recovery," September 2020
- Co-presenter, The 69th Minnesota State Bar Association Tax Institute, Successor Liability for Taxes in Acquisitions Involving Financially Distressed Companies, December 2009