Soo Khim Keoy is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Hong Kong.
Soo Khim’s practice focuses on complex corporate/commercial disputes, joint venture/shareholders' disputes, contentious corporate insolvency/bankruptcy matters, compliance and regulatory matters including investigations, enforcement and disciplinary actions, as well as white-collar crime.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a director of a Hong Kong listed company on litigation in four jurisdictions (Hong Kong, British Virgin Islands, Ontario and China) arising from a matrimonial dispute over assets worth more than HKD 800 million. Injunctions have been obtained and receivers appointed.
- Defending a Hong Kong listed gas company against claims brought by its former director, involving issues on the validity of share options worth over HKD 1.2 billion granted to the former director and damages of over HKD 130 million for alleged wrongful termination.
- Defending a prominent Swiss private bank against claims by former clients alleging mismanagement of discretionary portfolios resulting in losses of over USD 10 million.
- Successfully assisted a Hong Kong listed company in discharging provisional liquidators appointed in Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands over its subsidiaries listed in Singapore. Allegations against the companies include fraud and misappropriation of company funds. Also assisted client in an SFC dawn raid.
- Successfully defended a Hong Kong listed company against claims by its former chair seeking a declaration of beneficial interest in the company’s major assets (real properties in the Peak) worth over HKD 300 million. Advised the company in handling the regulators’ enquiries on related issues.
- Successfully assisted one of the largest full service banks in loan recovery/enforcement against security, including repossession of real properties and a private jet, and in bankruptcy proceedings against guarantors, including one who ran a prominent diamond mining business in South Africa.
- Successfully obtained judgments and a settlement for a major US valve manufacturer against its senior employees in Hong Kong who had conspired to defraud its business for almost 10 years. Obtained Anton-Piller order and Mareva injunction at the outset.
- Successfully assisted a client in resisting a claim for specific performance brought by a Singapore listed company relating to the sale of a Hong Kong company owning a significant parcel of land (valued over RMB 850 million) in Silver Bay, Beihai. Obtained favorable settlement after commencing contempt proceedings against the chairman of the purchaser.
- Regularly advises and represents listed companies, directors and licensed corporations/representatives in enquiries by the SEHK as well as investigations by the SFC and HKMA.
- Advised a Hong Kong company in investigation by the Dutch Tax Authority on suspected tax evasion and transfer pricing issues by an associated Dutch company. Assisted the client in managing the search warrant executed at company premises by the CCB, Interpol and Dutch Ministry of Justice, and subsequent summons to give evidence before a magistrate.
- Finalist, Individual Award - Rising Star (Dispute Resolution), China Law & Practice Award, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Gray's Inn, London
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Singapore Law Society
- Hong Kong (2002)
- Singapore (1998)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1997)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (Diploma Business Studies) (1997)
- Queen Mary & Westfield College (LL.B.) (1995)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.