Robert Kent advises on matters related to business crimes, internal and government investigations and corporate compliance. Top-ranked in Chambers USA since 2012, clients note his extensive experience in complex global investigations, his deep understanding of FCPA matters, and his capability in compliance program advice.
Robert is a former chief of the Complex Fraud Section of the US Attorney’s Office in Chicago, supervising its white-collar crime prosecution program. He has successfully handled over 15 jury trials and 15 appellate arguments.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducted internal investigations to resolve allegations of violations of the FCPA and other anti-corruption laws for companies in the defense, healthcare, communications, public relations, manufacturing, telecom, automotive, electric power, oil and gas, food processing and freight-forwarding industries.
- Obtained a full declination for a global defense contractor from the DOJ and the SEC in an FCPA investigation arising from a USD 1 million bribe scheme executed at the company's China subsidiary.
- Represented two financial institutions in negotiating non-prosecution agreements with the DOJ in connection with tax fraud allegations.
- Represented an engineering firm in negotiating a non-prosecution agreement with the DOJ in connection with trade secret theft allegations.
- Acted for a professional services firm in obtaining a full declination from the DOJ in connection with a False Claims Act investigation.
- Represented a manufacturing company and a healthcare company before the SEC in connection with investigations into accounting fraud allegations.
- Conducted internal investigations to resolve allegations of fraud and theft for companies in the manufacturing, real estate, medical diagnostics, information services, advertising and travel industries.
- Advised companies in multiple industries on compliance program design and implementation.
- Represented numerous individuals in government investigations of alleged corruption, healthcare fraud, securities fraud, commodities fraud, tax fraud and antitrust violations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Council of Lawyers - Member
- Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics - Member
- Leadership Greater Chicago - Fellow
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1987)
- Illinois~United States (1985)
- California~United States (1982)
- Stanford Law School (J.D.) (1983)
- Princeton University (B.A. Public Affairs) (1980)