Julia Kaufmann is a partner in the Munich office of Baker McKenzie. She has been admitted in Germany since 2006 and in New York, USA, since 2009. In addition to her studies in Germany, Julia obtained her Master of Laws degree at the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
Julia advises both German and international companies on all legal issues related to information technology, sourcing, data privacy and data protection, e-commerce, marketing and matters related to Internet and media law. She assists international online businesses with regard to commercial issues as well as compliance with consumer protection and data privacy law. Julia also focuses on outsourcing projects, development and implementation of multi-jurisdictional data privacy compliance programs, and software licensing and IT services agreements. In 2011/2012, she worked for one year in our Chicago and Dallas offices, primarily for US clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised one of the world’s most renowned media content platforms on numerous matters related to e-commerce, data privacy and marketing matters.
- Advised Staples on the implementation of a new online-shop system.
- Advised an international leading manufacturer of home appliances on the implementation of an app controlling home appliances.
- Advised one of the world's most famous and renowned online hotel reservation providers on the implementation of a global data privacy structure in 50+ countries.
- Advised a global pharmaceuticals company on the global implementation and distribution of a health care related app.
- Advised Allianz on a ten-digit data center outsourcing deal with IBM.
- Advised a global packaging manufacturer on the implementation of a global HR database in 45+ countries.
- Advised a service provider for financial institutions on the implementation of a new service for financial institutions in the European market.
- Recommended for Information Technology in Germany, Legal 500, 2018
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for date protection law and information technology, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Germany's Best Lawyers in Data Protection and IT Law, Handelsblatt 2019
- Names of the next generation, Legal 500 2018
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018
- New York~United States (2009)
- Germany (2007)
- University of Texas at Austin (LL.M.) (2008)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (Second State Exam) (2006)
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (First State Exam) (2004)
- Co-author (with Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel), "Another Million Euro Fine under the GDPR in Germany - What does it tell us?," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 16 October 2020
- Co-author (with Elisabeth Dehareng, Lukas Feiler, Francesca Gaudino, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Magdalena Kogut-Czarkowska, Joanna De Fonseka, Benjamin Slinn), "Europe: Guidelines on the concepts of controller and processor in the GDPR," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 22 September 2020
- Co-author (with Christian Koops), "Welche Kontrollen die DSGVO erlaubt", Computerwoche, 12 August 2020
- Co-author (with Michaela Nebel, Holger Lutz, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Nadine Neumeier), "Germany - Schrems II: Opinion of the European Data Protection Committee," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 24 July 2020
- Co-author (with Harry Valetk), "The impact ‘Schrems II’ has on controller-to-controller SCCs," Baker McKenzie Connect on Tech, 23 July 2020
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.