Julia Kaufmann is a partner in the Munich office of Baker McKenzie. She has been admitted in Germany since 2006 and in New York, USA, since 2009. In addition to her studies in Germany, Julia obtained her Master of Laws degree at the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
Julia advises both German and international companies on all legal issues related to information technology, sourcing, data privacy and data protection, e-commerce, marketing and matters related to Internet and media law. She assists international online businesses with regard to commercial issues as well as compliance with consumer protection and data privacy law. Julia also focuses on outsourcing projects, development and implementation of multi-jurisdictional data privacy compliance programs, and software licensing and IT services agreements. In 2011/2012, she worked for one year in our Chicago and Dallas offices, primarily for US clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised one of the world’s most renowned media content platforms on numerous matters related to e-commerce, data privacy and marketing matters.
- Advised Staples on the implementation of a new online-shop system.
- Advised an international leading manufacturer of home appliances on the implementation of an app controlling home appliances.
- Advised one of the world's most famous and renowned online hotel reservation providers on the implementation of a global data privacy structure in 50+ countries.
- Advised a global pharmaceuticals company on the global implementation and distribution of a health care related app.
- Advised Allianz on a ten-digit data center outsourcing deal with IBM.
- Advised a global packaging manufacturer on the implementation of a global HR database in 45+ countries.
- Advised a service provider for financial institutions on the implementation of a new service for financial institutions in the European market.
- Next generation partners in information technology: data protection, Legal 500 Europe 2021
- Recommended for Information Technology in Germany, Legal 500, 2018
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for date protection law and information technology, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Germany's Best Lawyers in Data Protection and IT Law, Handelsblatt 2019
- Names of the next generation, Legal 500 2018
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018
- New York~United States (2009)
- Germany (2007)
- University of Texas at Austin (LL.M.) (2008)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (Second State Exam) (2006)
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (First State Exam) (2004)
- Co-author (with Ingmar Oltmanns, Johannes Teichmann, Ulf Wauschkuhn and Katharina Spenner), "Umsetzung der Warenkaufrichtlinie: Geplante Änderungen des BGB zur Regelung des Verkaufs von Sachen mit digitalen Elementen und anderer Aspekte des Kaufvertrags," Client Alert, February 2021
- Co-author (with Ingmar Oltmanns, Johannes Teichmann, Ulf Wauschkuhn and Katharina Spenner), "Implementation of the Directive (EU) 2019/771 on the sale of goods: Upcoming amendments to the German Civil Code governing the sale of goods with digital elements and other aspects of sales contracts," Client Alert, February 2021
- Co-author (with Michaela Nebel and Michael Schmidl), "Europe: The "New Deal" - Consumer Protection Law Developments in the EU", Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 1 July 2021
- Co-author (with Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel), "Another Million Euro Fine under the GDPR in Germany - What does it tell us?," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 16 October 2020
- Co-author (with Elisabeth Dehareng, Lukas Feiler, Francesca Gaudino, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Magdalena Kogut-Czarkowska, Joanna De Fonseka, Benjamin Slinn), "Europe: Guidelines on the concepts of controller and processor in the GDPR," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 22 September 2020
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.