Robbert-Jan Kamstra has 10 years of experience in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution practice.
Before joining Baker McKenzie, Robbert-Jan worked as a registrar for five years at the District Court of Amsterdam where he worked closely together with judges and attended numerous court hearings and witness examinations. He was responsible for the preparation of court reports and the drafting of court judgments.
Robbert-Jan specializes in complex commercial litigation and national and international arbitration. He represents clients from a wide variety of industry sectors both before the state courts and in national and international arbitrations administered by a range of leading arbitration institutes.
Robbert-Jan also has experience as in in-house lawyer in the legal team of the EMEA Headquarter of an international operating sportswear company where he advised the businesses throughout the EMEA region, monitored pending court and arbitration proceedings and advised the Global Board on a variety of legal matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented clients in multiple NAI arbitration proceedings. Relevant matters include (a) representing an international sportswear company in a dispute regarding the termination of a long term agreement with its former UAE distributor, (b) a contractual dispute between two international companies regarding the purchase of a debt portfolio and (c) a contractual dispute between two international companies regarding the conformity of products
- Represented a customer in a dispute with its former supplier regarding the implementation of CRM software in IT law arbitration before the Stichting Geschillenoplossing Arbitration (SGOA)
- Represented clients in post M&A disputes. Relevant matters include a dispute between a buyer and sellers regarding a claim for earn-out payments
- Assisted various entities in corporate litigation proceedings before the Dutch Enterprise Chamber (Ondernemingskamer) in a cross-boarder shareholder dispute
- Represented clients in director liability proceedings. Relevant matters include the representation of a Canadian manufacturer of truck trailers in a dispute against a former Dutch distributor regarding the termination of the duration agreement.
- Represented a Dutch holding company (the parent company of a Kazakh mining company) in proceedings against its former statutory director for the embezzlement of company funds.
- Represented various clients who became the victim of CEO fraud and successfully retrieved funds stolen and transferred to foreign jurisdictions (multiple million euros)
- Represented clients in interim relief proceedings in various disputes, such as the requirement of a charity foundation to provide insight in the destination of donations
- Represented clients in bankruptcy proceedings. Relevant matters include the representation of an asset management company in the bankruptcy of Oi Telecom
- Represented the above mentioned company in proceedings against the former lawyer in ethical complaint proceedings, both before the Board of Discipline (Raad van Discipline) as well as the Disciplinary Appeals Tribunal (Hof van Discipline)
- Represented multiple clients in successfully levying pre-trial attachments (conservatoir beslag) against debtors on assets in the Netherlands and abroad, including freezing bank accounts, the towing away and storing of moveable objects
- Represented clients in multiple tendering proceedings
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten)
- Association for Corporate Litigation
- Member (Secretary and Vice-President) of the Board of the Dutch Young Bar Organisation SJBN (Stichting Jonge Balie Nederland). The SJBN represents young Dutch attorneys. Robbert-Jan worked closely with the local Young Bar District Associations, the Dutch Bar Association, educational institutes and other organisations (2013-2015)
- Member to the Board of Stichting Alumni NSL (organisation for former members of student association NSL) (2010-2015)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2011)
- Grotius Academy (Post Graduate Program in Business and Liability Law) (2016)
- The Law Firm School (Post Graduate Education) (2012)
- Leiden University (LL.M.) (2010)