Maxim Kalinin is the Managing Partner of the St. Petersburg office of Baker McKenzie. In 1994, he joined the St. Petersburg office of Baker McKenzie as an associate. In 2001, Maxim was elected a partner.
Maxim is ranked as the only Eminent Practitioner lawyer in Real Estate and ranked as one of the Eminent Practitioner lawyers in General Business Law in St. Petersburg, Chambers Europe, 2020 — the publication stresses, "Maxim is highly regarded for his many years of activity in St Petersburg's legal market. He oversees the practice, lending his considerable market insight and experience to clients involved in complex commercial mandates across a wide range of industries."
For the year 2020, Legal 500 EMEA published "Maxim has niche expertise in corporate transactions with a real estate and infrastructure angle."
Maхim heads the Automotive practice and coordinates the Sustainability practice in Russia. He helps clients navigate matters ranging from regular advisory work in the corporate, employment, real estate and infrastructure areas to sophisticated cross-border transactions on corporate and asset deals.
Representative Legal Matters
Recent clients include Ford, Kesko, Orkla and its subsidiaries, Hyundai Manufacturing, Man Truck and Bus, shareholders of National Satellite Company, Gazprom group, Sveza, Baltika Breweries (part of Carlsberg Group).
Advised a variety of Russian and foreign companies on various issues concerning corporate deal structuring and execution, including M&A, the establishment of joint ventures, the purchase and sale of assets, and the reorganization of legal entities.
Advised manufacturing companies, real estate owners and developers, lessees, construction companies and other companies professionally involved in the real estate sector on all aspects of real estate and construction in Russia.
Advised investors on various legal issues connected with the acquisition of existing production facilities, as well as greenfield projects.
Advised clients on various legal issues of employment. Represented the interests of employers in labor disputes and negotiations with trade unions. Advised and represented clients in collective bargains and successfully represented companies in courts of different levels.
Advised various companies on all aspects of implementing major infrastructure projects in Russia, including private-public partnership issues.
Advised numerous automotive companies conducting their business in Russia on a wide range of general legal issues (M&A, real estate and construction, infrastructure, the establishment of joint ventures, corporate reorganizations, labor issues and legal aspects concerning interacting with trade unions), as well as automotive industry-specific matters (homologation, dealer arrangements and the possibility for Russian local production).
Advised on rapidly growing sustainability matters, including renewable energy, electric vehicles, waste management and carbon offsetting.
- Highly regarded in M&A in Russia, IFLR1000, 2021
- Ranked lawyer in banking and finance law, construction law, corporate governance and compliance practice, corporate law, energy and natural resources law, government practice, insolvency and reorganization law, investment, litigation, M&A law, mining law, oil and gas law, real estate law, transportation law, trusts and estates, Best Lawyers in Russia, 2021
- Eminent Practitioner in Real Estate, Chambers Europe, 2020
- Eminent Practitioner in General Business Law in St. Petersburg, Chambers Europe, 2020
- Leading Individual in commercial, corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
- "Lawyer of the Year" in real estate law in St. Petersburg, Best Lawyers in Russia, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Baltic Bar Association - Member
- Russia (1993)
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations (Law Degree, High Honors) (1993)
- Co-author, "Individuals can Voluntarily Qualify as Tax Residents in Only 90 Days in 2020," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, August 2020
- Co-author, "Extension of Filing Deadline for Cash Flow Statements for Individual Foreign Accounts," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, June 2020
- Co-author, "New Opportunities for Renewable Energy in Russia," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, May 2020
- Co-author, "New Incentives for Major Investments," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Restrictions do not Automatically Exempt Businesses From Liability," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020