Bilal Kahlon is a member of the Firm’s Global Projects and Banking and Finance groups. Having grown up in Bahrain, Mr. Kahlon has strong ties with the Gulf region. His extensive experience includes banking and finance matters (both conventional and Islamic) and corporate and commercial matters (including mergers and acquisitions and international joint ventures). Mr. Kahlon read law at King’s College London and is admitted to practice law in England and Wales.
Mr. Kahlon's practice focuses on advising clients on corporate and structured finance transactions with a particular emphasis on Islamic finance, including sukuk offerings. He has considerable knowledge in structuring, documenting and executing shariah-compliant transactions, having advised on a number of high profile, innovative and ground-breaking transactions over the years. Mr. Kahlon has been acknowledged as a leading Islamic finance lawyer in a number of categories including banking and capital markets, project and infrastructure finance, and structured finance by Islamic Finance News. Mr. Kahlon is also consistently ranked as a leading lawyer in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain by Chambers Global, IFLR1000 and Legal 500.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for the Kingdom of Bahrain, through the Ministry of Finance, in relation to a USD1.5 billion international dual tranche bond issuance due in 2021 and 2026. The issuance consisted of both Rule 144-A and Regulation S tranches.
- Acting for the Government of Bahrain, through the Ministry of Finance, in relation to a USD1.25 billion international bond issuance due in 2044. The issuance consisted of both a Rule 144-A and Regulation S tranche.
- Acting for Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company BSC (c), the Bahraini sovereign investment fund, in connection with the issuance (pursuant to Regulation S) of USD600 million sukuk due 2021 thereunder lead managed by BNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank, Mitsubishi UFJ and Standard Chartered Bank. The sukuk were listed on the Irish Stock Exchange.
- Acting for Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company BSC (c), the Bahraini sovereign investment fund, in connection with the establishment of debut USD1 billion euro medium term note programme arranged by HSBC.
- Acting for Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company BSC (c), the Bahraini sovereign investment fund, in connection with the establishment of their debut USD1 billion sukuk programme arranged by HSBC.
- Acting for Almarai Company in relation to a SAR1.7 billion (approximately USD453 million) Perpetual Senior Sukuk in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for a syndicate of Saudi banks in relation to a SAR3.5 million financing to Saudia Aerospace Engineering Company Limited.
- Acting for Saudi Binladin Group in relation to a SAR1 billion (approximately USD267 million) sukuk al mudaraba issued as an exempt offering in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for the Power and Water Utility Company for Jubail and Yanbu (MARAFIQ) in relation to a SAR2.5 billion (approximately USD667 million) Sukuk Al-Istithmar issued as a private placement in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for a syndicate of financiers led by Mashreqbank psc in relation to USD500 million sale and ijara financing made available to Ezdan Holding Group Company QSC.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales – Member
- Bar Council of England & Wales – Member
- Honourable Society of Lincolns Inn, London – Member
- Advocate High Courts of Pakistan - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2001)
- Pakistan (2001)
- Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Vocational Course) (2001)
- King's College London, UK (LL.B. Honors) (2000)