Sibel is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Financial Services & Funds team in Sydney.
Sibel advises corporates, investment banks, fund managers, investment advisers, brokers/dealers, fintech firms, market participants and exchanges on a range of areas relating to financial services, financial products, anti-money laundering, financial markets and related regulatory issues. Her practice is focused on acting for issuers of various types of financial products (with a specialty in derivatives and payment platforms), providing financial services regulatory advice and acting for a wide range of clients in relation to their AML/CTF obligations. Sibel also advises in relation to superannuation and consumer credit issues. She has an extensive background in relation to derivatives - ISDAs, GMRAs, collateral arrangements and financial markets regulatory reform.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on behalf of two Australian major banks in relation to regulatory changes in the global financial markets specialising in mandatory margining and clearing of OTC derivatives and the Australian, US & European, Hong Kong, Singapore and Swiss margining and clearing regulations.
- Providing legal review and analysis of an Australian major bank’s compliance team’s standard operating procedures and assisting with their technical queries in relation to strategies on building frameworks around policies and new processes for implementation.
- Advising a foreign ADI in relation to the consumer credit regime, AML and general regulatory matters relevant to permissible activities and licensing.
- Advising a foreign bank on the establishment of a representative office in Australia with emphasis on regulatory advice in relation to ASIC and APRA requirements.
- Advising a global payments and FX consultancy firm in relation to its AML compliance conduct and International Funds Transfer Instruction (IFTI) reporting requirements under the AML regime including review of compliance program.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South wales - Member
- ISDA - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2005)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.