Xavier Junquera heads the public law practice group in Barcelona. He is also the chairman of the Europe Environmental Regulatory and Planning Practice Group. He was included by the Spanish Ministry of Environment in the group of experts that participated in the preliminary work in the process of drafting the law on environmental liability. He has collaborated with the Waste Agency, in various seminars dealing with environmental issues. He has published several works on environmental legal issues such as GuÃa de Vertederos (Dumping Grounds Guide) and has been the reference environmental expert with a weekly column at ExpansiÃ³n, leading business newspaper in Spain. Mr. Junquera is ranked as one of the leading environmental lawyers in Spain by Chambers 2009. On 2010, he has been named the Best Environmental Lawyer of Spain for the International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award 2010. This prize recognises Xavier stands apart for the excellent client care he provides and the quality of his service.
Mr. Junquera focuses his practice in the areas of public law/regulatory & compliance, and environmental law. His practice also expands to real estate (civil) and Hotels & Resorts projects. It includes advice to domestic companies and foreign multinationals in matters such as the sale and purchase of real estate assets with contaminated land and underground water contamination. He also advises on negotiation of clean up procedures with the Spanish environmental agencies and litigation and arbitration related to the above mentioned matters, including the defense in criminal proceedings in connection with land and water contamination. Mr. Junquera also advises public institutions on public law matters
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the president of the Board of Directors of a Spanish chemical company and the engineer of a chemical plant in a criminal proceeding for presumed contamination of a river.
- Represented Eugene Perma, Aventis, Grace, Eaton and Stein, national and multinational companies in the selling process of industrial assets subject to specific environmental issues.
- Represented Pierre et Vacances in the setting up of its apart-hotel projects and touristic apartment resorts in Tarragona, Alicante and Malaga.
- Represented Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group in the preparation of all the agreements necessary to operate the MOHG Hotel in Barcelona and adjacent MOGH residences.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bar Association of Barcelona - Administrative Law Committee
- Bar Association of Barcelona - Environmental Law Committee
- Barcelona~Spain (1986)
- University of Barcelona (LL.M.) (1986)
- Colegio University Abad Oliba (Diplomas on Real Estate and Urban Planning)
Baker & McKenzie Barcelona S.L.P. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.