Mary has a particular focus on financial institution clients in the regulated sector, handling domestic and international investigations and their related disputes on behalf of firms and individuals.
Mary spent a year on secondment to a leading investment bank where she gained substantial experience of managing complex cross-jurisdictional investigations and dealing with various regulatory and prosecutorial bodies, including the UK Financial Conduct Authority, the UK Serious Fraud Office, the New York Federal Reserve Bank, US Securities and Exchange Commission and the US Department of Justice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a global financial institution on its reporting obligations to regulators concerning whistleblower allegations linked to culture and its compliance function and conducting the subsequent multijurisdictional investigation into those allegations.
- Leading a response to an enforcement action of the UK Financial Conduct Authority regarding FX pricing at a major bank, including advising on remediation steps and the handling of individuals under the Senior Managers Regime.
- Defending a global retail bank against a threatened claim based on allegations of fraud relating to a significant investment, including an interlinked UK Financial Conduct Authority and Serious Fraud Office investigation.
- Supporting a prominent financial institution in relation to engagement and inquiries from both the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority regarding financial reporting and disclosures.
- Acting for a global technology company in relation to an investigation into allegations of offences contrary to the UK Bribery Act across its EMEA, Asia and Middle Eastern regions.
- Investigating AML systems and controls breaches and sanctions compliance, including putting in place training and monitoring procedures to meet updated compliance requirements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- University of Oxford (Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Philosophy, Politics and Economics)
- College of Law at London (Graduate Diploma)
- BPP Law School (Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice)